https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/187805-is_10_centimes_euros_for_french_to_english_too_much.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is .10 centimes Euros for French to English too much?
Thread poster: Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2010

Hello All,

I would love your feedback. I have been translating for years. In the early days, my rates were really quite low as I made the trade off between gathering clients and experience vs higher pay.

Time has passed. I am experienced and capable. Is .10 centimes per word too high a rate?
I seem be getting contacted by agencies these days who want to low ball, even during the week of Christmas, from .04 to .07 centimes per word. I simply refuse the work curren
... See more
Hello All,

I would love your feedback. I have been translating for years. In the early days, my rates were really quite low as I made the trade off between gathering clients and experience vs higher pay.

Time has passed. I am experienced and capable. Is .10 centimes per word too high a rate?
I seem be getting contacted by agencies these days who want to low ball, even during the week of Christmas, from .04 to .07 centimes per word. I simply refuse the work currently however is this truly the going rate?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
English to French
+ ...
Against FTC rules Dec 16, 2010

Discussing rates is considered by the Federal Trade Commission to be price fixing. Please refer to the FTC investigation/lawsuit against ATA in the early 90s.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 05:53
Japanese to English
No, it's not. Dec 16, 2010

It's not too high at all. If anything it sounds too low to me.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:53
French to German
+ ...
Too low? Dec 16, 2010

TransAfrique wrote:

It's not too high at all. If anything it sounds too low to me.

At the lower threshold of "near enough" (just kidding)...

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Really? Dec 16, 2010

JL01 wrote:

Discussing rates is considered by the Federal Trade Commission to be price fixing. Please refer to the FTC investigation/lawsuit against ATA in the early 90s.

And what is the current trend towards USD 0.04? Free enterprise at its best?

[Modifié le 2010-12-16 18:59 GMT]

Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Huh? Dec 16, 2010

JL01 wrote:

Huh??? How is discussing rates here equivalent to price fixing? The money matters section of this forum is all about rates...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Don't give in Dec 16, 2010

There are many of us out here who refuse to work for less and often ask for more.

Certainly, at 0.10€ you'll have to say "No" quite often - but there are agencies and direct clients out there who value quality and know that our rates aren't exhorbitant, just necessary to maintain a "normal" standard of living.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
.10 centimes is not too high Dec 16, 2010

I guess it all depends on your market. I charge U.S. agencies a minimum of .18 a word and that is currently equivalent to .136 euro cents, so .10 is not too high (at least for the U.S.).

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Furthermore... Dec 16, 2010

rebeccalyne wrote:

JL01 wrote:

Huh??? How is discussing rates here equivalent to price fixing? The money matters section of this forum is all about rates...

and to (hopefully) close this spin-off about the appropriateness of discussing rates, there is: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/10#10

Full quote:

No legal interpretations. Legal interpretations and legal challenges to ProZ.com policies and features should not be made in the forums, but sent in writing to ProZ.com headquarters.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
LOL Dec 16, 2010

JL01 wrote:

Nice start!

[Edited at 2010-12-16 19:55 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
No more freedom of speech in the US??? Dec 16, 2010

JL01 wrote:

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don't work in your pair Dec 16, 2010

rebeccalyne wrote:

Is .10 centimes per word too high a rate?

But a rate of 10 Euro cents will not get me out of bed.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Really 0.1 centimes? Dec 16, 2010

Rebecca,

Did you really mean .10 centimes (one tenth of one centime, i.e. one thousandth of one euro)?
Sheila clearly assumed you meant one tenth of one euro, to which my first reaction was, it's about right: .10 centimes is clearly nowhere near right, being one hundredth of that.
I think Sheila's assumption was probably correct, but it would be good to have your confirmation.

Oliver

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Neither fish nor flesh nor good red herring Dec 16, 2010

Ten eurocents a word is a bit of a nowhere rate: too high to compete on price with the bottom feeders and too low if your work is good enough to attract discerning clients who put quality before price.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Oh Giles Dec 16, 2010

Giles Watson wrote:

Ten eurocents a word is a bit of a nowhere rate: too high to compete on price with the bottom feeders and too low if your work is good enough to attract discerning clients who put quality before price.

That's hitting the nail on its head!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is .10 centimes Euros for French to English too much?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »