Thread poster: Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2004

after losing the "original"....and me having already closed the fiscal quarter in which the invoice was billed. What to do? Tax administration says no can do but this could be to minimise their parallel declarations which is more paperwork for them. Client is passing the buck and saying that a parallel declaration can be made and I have to do this despite them having mislaid the original. Anyone had any experience of this?

Many thanks in advance
Jason
Freelance translat
... See more
after losing the "original"....and me having already closed the fiscal quarter in which the invoice was billed. What to do? Tax administration says no can do but this could be to minimise their parallel declarations which is more paperwork for them. Client is passing the buck and saying that a parallel declaration can be made and I have to do this despite them having mislaid the original. Anyone had any experience of this?

Many thanks in advance
Jason
Freelance translator, Spain
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Issue a duplicate Feb 26, 2004

Hi Jason,
I don't know about the Spanish rules, so you'd better double-check this.

What we do in such cases is to issue a duplicate (with the word "duplicate" clearly on it), which the client can use as a tax-deductible invoice (provided they don't use the original at the same time...).

HTH, Ralf

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Duplicates Feb 26, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

What we do in such cases is to issue a duplicate (with the word "duplicate" clearly on it), which the client can use as a tax-deductible invoice (provided they don't use the original at the same time...).

If invoices are numbered, this can't happen. Wasn't there something in the new (German) regulations about invoices having to have a unique number?

Marc

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Right Feb 26, 2004

My point about clearly marking a duplicate is that in this way you don't need to reissue the invoice (which would obviously require a reversal of the old invoice, and hence the need to restate tax declarations...).

A duplicate will, of course, have the same number as the original, but as long as the original doesn't resurface, that's not a problem either.

Hope that clarifies my point.

Best, Ralf

Jason Willis-Lee
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Duplicates Feb 27, 2004

Thank you Ralf. My doubt is over who is obliged to do a parallel tax declaration in this case, the client (a company) or the translator (a freelance worker). Obviously the client will try to minimise their own paperwork as they have tried with me but I don't see why the translator should have this hassle when it was the client's fault the invoice was mislaid. A good solution to avoid this happening would simply be to issue a list of invoices pending invoices before closing a fiscal quarter which... See more
Thank you Ralf. My doubt is over who is obliged to do a parallel tax declaration in this case, the client (a company) or the translator (a freelance worker). Obviously the client will try to minimise their own paperwork as they have tried with me but I don't see why the translator should have this hassle when it was the client's fault the invoice was mislaid. A good solution to avoid this happening would simply be to issue a list of invoices pending invoices before closing a fiscal quarter which is when a problem could crop up. Here in Spain VAT must be paid by the 20th of the month immediately after the quarter has finished (ie. April, July, October and January).

Ralf Lemster wrote:

My point about clearly marking a duplicate is that in this way you don't need to reissue the invoice (which would obviously require a reversal of the old invoice, and hence the need to restate tax declarations...).

A duplicate will, of course, have the same number as the original, but as long as the original doesn't resurface, that's not a problem either.

Hope that clarifies my point.

Best, Ralf
Collapse

Patrizia De Aloe
Patrizia De Aloe
English to Italian
+ ...
Issue "duplicate" invoice Feb 27, 2004

I do not know the Spanish law on these issues, but in Italy (where the tax laws are particularly strict if compared to the other European countries), you can re-issue the invoice with "duplicate" clearly written on it.

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
duplicate invoices Feb 28, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

If invoices are numbered, this can't happen. Wasn't there something in the new (German) regulations about invoices having to have a unique number?

Marc

Marc, in Germany you can issue as many duplicates as you want, as long as they are marked "Kopie", "Zweitschrift" or something like that. They will bear the original, unique number, of course. It's the recipient's responsibility, to use it properly.

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
re issuing an invoice Mar 1, 2004

I am also working as an autonomo in Spain. There is no problem whatsoever in reissuing an invoice, provided it has the same number as the original one. I always send them as an Excel file to my clients. They print it out themselves.

If I invoice an an agency in Spain I do not know, I try to issue the official invoice NOT at the end of a quarter but at the beginning. Then I am sure it will be paid by the end. You may also first issue an 'albaran' and then change that into an invoice
... See more
I am also working as an autonomo in Spain. There is no problem whatsoever in reissuing an invoice, provided it has the same number as the original one. I always send them as an Excel file to my clients. They print it out themselves.

If I invoice an an agency in Spain I do not know, I try to issue the official invoice NOT at the end of a quarter but at the beginning. Then I am sure it will be paid by the end. You may also first issue an 'albaran' and then change that into an invoice if and when it gets paid (common practice in Spain). Your gestor only sees the invoices and you are not paying tax on unpaid invoices!
Collapse

Jason Willis-Lee
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
changing invoice numbers Mar 2, 2004

Dear Anjo:

Thanks....in my case, the client was asking for a duplicate with the original invoice number changed ie. so that the original is effectively eliminated and they can have their cake and eat it with the new invoice dated for the quarter they are paying their tax. Needless to say, I had already paid the VAT on the invoice they mislaid and therefore refused to reissue a new invoice with the original number altered. The inland revenue here agreed that once issued, an invoice
... See more
Dear Anjo:

Thanks....in my case, the client was asking for a duplicate with the original invoice number changed ie. so that the original is effectively eliminated and they can have their cake and eat it with the new invoice dated for the quarter they are paying their tax. Needless to say, I had already paid the VAT on the invoice they mislaid and therefore refused to reissue a new invoice with the original number altered. The inland revenue here agreed that once issued, an invoice number cannot be changed.

Best regards.
Jason

Anjo Sterringa wrote:

If I invoice an an agency in Spain I do not know, I try to issue the official invoice NOT at the end of a quarter but at the beginning. Then I am sure it will be paid by the end. You may also first issue an 'albaran' and then change that into an invoice if and when it gets paid (common practice in Spain). Your gestor only sees the invoices and you are not paying tax on unpaid invoices!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish client wants invoice reissued

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »