Thread poster: Michael&Yoshiko

Michael&Yoshiko  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:04
French to English
+ ...
Dec 23, 2010

Greetings all

I am a new member of this forum and would be very grateful for some advice.

I have just returned to my native country (the UK) after many years working outside it. I have qualifications in several languages and experience of freelance translation work. I would like to pick up some freelance work here, but I have no idea what rate to charge. I don't want to undercut fellow translators, even inadvertently. Would anyone be kind enough to advise me what to charge for general translation in the following language pairs?

German/French/Dutch to English
(rate in UK pence per source word)
Japanese to English
(rate in UK pence per source character)

If "rate in UK pence per source word/character" is not a good fee basis, please let me know what would be! (With regard to Japanese in particular, as anyone who has studied it will know, charging per source word/character may be a problem.)

Best regards

Michael

Direct link Reply with quote

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 22:04
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
ProZ Community Rates Dec 24, 2010

ProZ has the rate information you are looking for. It is under Tools > Community rates.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

I hope this helps.

Paula Gordon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:04
Bosnian to English
+ ...
and then multiply the ProZ "standard" rate by 1.2 or so Dec 24, 2010

At least, this is how my rates (and those of some other translators I know) fall in comparison to the ranges posted on ProZ for my pairs.

You can also peruse the language forums in your pairs and visit the profiles of those who post there. You will have a sense of their knowledge and language skills from their posts, and this will provide context for evaluating their rates. Not everyone displays their rates in their profiles, though.

Perhaps translator/interpreter associations in your source-language countries post standard rates (or even dictate rates)? If they do, then chances are you will also find rates into English listed.

Another way to set rates is to decide what you want or need to earn per hour, calculate how many words per hour you can translate (this may vary depending on subject matter and style), and do the math. You can do this based on both source and target count, so that you'll be ready to quote for either. Having this information handy also helps when you have to quote a job or commit to a deadline in a hurry.

And don't think your rates have to be set in stone. Make it a point to introduce each quote with: Based on a review of the material... or similar. Or end each quote with: Prices subject to change. (Note that I am not advocating changing your rates mid-project!)

And when a PM tells you your rates are too high... raise your rates!

Good luck,
Paula

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

ProZ has the rate information you are looking for. It is under Tools > Community rates.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

I hope this helps.

[Edited at 2010-12-24 21:54 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:04
French to German
+ ...
Way to go! Dec 25, 2010

Paula Gordon wrote:

And when a PM tells you your rates are too high... raise your rates!

Good luck,
Paula

Michael&Yoshiko  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:04
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 7, 2011

Thank you very much Paula and Atil for your helpful replies.

Regards

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need advice on rates

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search