Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:57
German to English
+ ...
Dec 27, 2010

I need some advice...

On Nov 30th, I received an offer from a proz.com member Translation School in Europe (they have a website and they seem to be trustworthy) for a very short translation. For some time, I had stopped doing translation unless I got paid in full and in advance... reason? recently I got scammed twice.. and some more...

This poster advertised payment in 20 days.. That's December 20th, the latest.. I did not receive the bank transfer agreed upon (I sent e
... See more
I need some advice...

On Nov 30th, I received an offer from a proz.com member Translation School in Europe (they have a website and they seem to be trustworthy) for a very short translation. For some time, I had stopped doing translation unless I got paid in full and in advance... reason? recently I got scammed twice.. and some more...

This poster advertised payment in 20 days.. That's December 20th, the latest.. I did not receive the bank transfer agreed upon (I sent everything needed)... Then I e-mailed on the 26th. No answer. Then again... this time I got an answer from some other person saying that they are sorry, but they are on Christmas Holidays..." The billing department will process the payment asap. How soon is asap? no explanation. Of course, it's not the money this time (it's a small amount... ) but am I wrong? Chrismtas Holidays did not prevent them from assigning the job to me... The person did indicate 20 days with no explanation regarding Christmas Holidays... Am I supposed to ask everyone who gives me a translation job whether they are joking or lying regarding the payment date? 20 days is 20 days for me... Have things changed?

Thank you.

Zareh Darakjian, Ph.D.

[email protected]

[Edited at 2010-12-27 20:45 GMT]
Collapse

Americano
Americano  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 16:57
English to Serbian
+ ...
You're absolutely right Dec 27, 2010

It was the condition set by outsorcer, not by you. They should not advertise any payment deadlines unless they will stick to it. That can be rather annoying, but it seems it has become common practice.
I recently got surprised, though, when I received payment way before deadline. It was just unexpected, since I really believed they will also try to hold it up as everyone else do.
Really don't know what to say, wait until the holidays are over and if nothing comes through, let them kn
... See more
It was the condition set by outsorcer, not by you. They should not advertise any payment deadlines unless they will stick to it. That can be rather annoying, but it seems it has become common practice.
I recently got surprised, though, when I received payment way before deadline. It was just unexpected, since I really believed they will also try to hold it up as everyone else do.
Really don't know what to say, wait until the holidays are over and if nothing comes through, let them know how you feel about their business policy.
Collapse

Sandra B.
Sandra B.
Portugal
Local time: 15:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
... Dec 27, 2010

Companies usually come up with ridiculous excuses when they don't want to pay, including the "crisis" the most common one nowadays...

Just wait until after Xmas to see if they really pay you. I had a similar case in the past and after the holiday season I got the payment. Many companies in Europe are closed until January 3rd.
Also, as I have already a few non payment issues, I only take a new client if I can get references, like Blue Board or other similar directory. Otherwis
... See more
Companies usually come up with ridiculous excuses when they don't want to pay, including the "crisis" the most common one nowadays...

Just wait until after Xmas to see if they really pay you. I had a similar case in the past and after the holiday season I got the payment. Many companies in Europe are closed until January 3rd.
Also, as I have already a few non payment issues, I only take a new client if I can get references, like Blue Board or other similar directory. Otherwise, no way.

[Edited at 2010-12-27 21:09 GMT]
Collapse

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 27, 2010

Americano wrote:

Really don't know what to say, wait until the holidays are over and if nothing comes through, let them know how you feel about their business policy.

Thank you, Americano! Your advice is very helpful. I will wait... and I will see... and I will let everyone know... Thanks again.

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 27, 2010

Sandra Baptista wrote:

Also, as I have already a few non payment issues, I only take a new client if I can get references, like Blue Board or other similar directory. Otherwise, no way.

[Edited at 2010-12-27 21:09 GMT]

Thank you, Sandra, very much. I appreciate your advice, and also your letting me know of your policy.. because asking for full payment in advance does not really work (at least not so far...). Thanks for your input.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Delayed Payment due to Christmas Holidays Dec 27, 2010

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D. wrote:

I need some advice...

This poster advertised payment in 20 days.. That's December 20th, the latest.. I did not receive the bank transfer agreed upon (I sent everything needed)... Then I e-mailed on the 26th. No answer. Then again... this time I got an answer from some other person saying that they are sorry, but they are on Christmas Holidays..." The billing department will process the payment asap. How soon is asap? no explanation. Of course, it's not the money this time (it's a small amount... ) but am I wrong? Chrismtas Holidays did not prevent them from assigning the job to me... The person did indicate 20 days with no explanation regarding Christmas Holidays... Am I supposed to ask everyone who gives me a translation job whether they are joking or lying regarding the payment date? 20 days is 20 days for me... Have things changed?

Thank you.

Zareh Darakjian, Ph.D.

[email protected]

¿Christmas Holidays? An internet money transfer last as much 10 minutes, but I agree to what have been said before. Wait a few days, until you are sure they are working after the holidays.

[Edited at 2010-12-27 21:42 GMT]

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I need some advice...

Thank you.

Zareh Darakjian, Ph.D.

[email protected]

¿Christmas Holidays? An internet money transfer last as much 10 minutes, but I agree to what have been said before. Wait a few days, until you are sure they are working after the holidays.

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends on the payment method Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

¿Christmas Holidays? An internet money transfer last as much 10 minutes, (...)

AFAIK Paypal operates throughout X-mas, but at my bank I could order as many transfers as I like online - and yet all of them would get processed only during normal business hours, i.e. after the bank holidays.

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Pablo. I appreciate your advice on this matter. Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I need some advice...

Thank you.

Zareh Darakjian, Ph.D.

[email protected]

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Iza for your advice. However, their excues was that "they" are cloased for the Holidays.. Dec 27, 2010

Iza Szczypka wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

¿Christmas Holidays? An internet money transfer last as much 10 minutes, (...)

AFAIK Paypal operates throughout X-mas, but at my bank I could order as many transfers as I like online - and yet all of them would get processed only during normal business hours, i.e. after the bank holidays.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Similar cases Dec 28, 2010

I had two recent similar cases, so the "Christmas holidays" excuse comes as really lame.

In one case, the invoice was sent and received on November 15, so it was payable on December 15 at the latest. And transfers within the EU don't last an eternity + 360 days.

Furthermore, I know the customer worked at that time as I received some e-mails with more requests.

It seems to me that some outsourcers -who were "correct" one or two years ago- don't know anymor
... See more
I had two recent similar cases, so the "Christmas holidays" excuse comes as really lame.

In one case, the invoice was sent and received on November 15, so it was payable on December 15 at the latest. And transfers within the EU don't last an eternity + 360 days.

Furthermore, I know the customer worked at that time as I received some e-mails with more requests.

It seems to me that some outsourcers -who were "correct" one or two years ago- don't know anymore how to pay on time.

As a reaction, I am really thinking about refusing credit (i. e. 30 days after receipt of invoice) and asking for payment within two calendar weeks.
Collapse

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Laurent for sharing your experience! Dec 28, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

It seems to me that some outsourcers -who were "correct" one or two years ago- don't know anymore how to pay on time.

As a reaction, I am really thinking about refusing credit (i. e. 30 days after receipt of invoice) and asking for payment within two calendar weeks.

[Edited at 2010-12-28 05:30 GMT]

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Laurent Dec 28, 2010

Thank you, Laurent for sharing your experience. The problem that I see, however, is that if they will not pay, they will not pay even after two weeks. Once they get the completed work, they will still not pay... or am I missing somthing?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:57
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I hate this time of the year Dec 28, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I also had similar experiences in the past, where Christmas holidays and summer vacations as excuses. Correct agencies don't get influenced by holiday seasons, and to me these seasons are one of the lousy excuses these people tend to give. I really wonder what those in-house employees working at one of these excuse-giving companies would say if their monthly salary were delayed due to the absence of accounting department people during several seasons of the year when everyone should be gay and merry.

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Yasutomo Dec 28, 2010

Thank you, Yasutomo for sharing your experience. They already knew that holidays were coming. They should have expedited the payment, not delayed it.

Thanks

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delayed Payment due to Christmas Holidays

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »