Thread poster: Michael Leite

Michael Leite
Brazil
Local time: 07:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 13, 2011

Hello everyone,

I signed up to Moneybookers, verified my credit card and also added my bank account. I tried to withdraw a small amount of money, as a test, and it did not appear in my account after many days. I sent a complaint to the site, they said it has been transferred and asked me to talk the bank staff with a protocol.

Did anyone ever had this problem?

Any advice for withdrawing from Moneybookers?

Is it possible to send the money to PayPal?

Other suggestions?

Jokes? =p

I really appreciate your help. This client only pays international translators through Moneybookers.

Michael

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxEduardo Roch
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Getting money from Moneybookers. Jan 13, 2011

Although I don't consider myself the best person to talk about this subject, I
have to tell you some things:

1) In Brazil you can receive money through your bank account, but not using your credit card . It is illegal to have one cent in your favor in your credit card account!

2)As I have heard Moneybookers transfer money to you in U.S. dollars only, so you will need to find an institution to make the exchange for you, before you withdraw cash in reais.

Concerning Paypal, I don't know if it would be useful in this situation.

The only suggestion I can give you is to enter their site and to look for a Moneybookers partner (may be a travel agency) in order they can exchange the currency and pay you in reais.

On the other hand, I'll be waiting for another better suggestion too.

Eduardo

imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Michel Jan 13, 2011

I'm having exactly the same problem right now. I've received a paymet sent through Paypal a week after moneybookers one and it's already arrived, while moneybookers' one simply disappeared in air...

Michael Leite
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For all Jan 13, 2011

I thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Yes, the money simply disappears and they say they've transferred. I do not want to go to the bank and lose a long time trying to find my money hehehe. Anyway, I think it is the best option. A friend of mine said that, OF COURSE, the banks charges for helping you, a percentage, about 10% (so, if u make 1000 euros, 100 euros stays with them).... But there is a light at the end of the tunnel =p : she said that Bradesco is the best: it charges only 10 dollars no matter the amount.

I suggested PayPal because they are now in Brazil, and then, it is very easy to transfer.

A Portuguese friend of mine, who lives here, suggested I could inform his account in Portugal and then when his balance statement arrives, he will give money to me in reais. I contacted the agency and they accepted. I'll do the first tests, hehehee. I hope my friend will really give the money =p

Many thanks for helping.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I gave up on Moneybookers at the outset Jan 13, 2011

I didn't manage to get my accoount on Moneybookers working, so I wrote their customer support three times, and they never answered. I wouldn't trust a system that is behind a stone wall.

Amazingly, in spite of all complaints I've read about PayPal, they have never failed me, and their customer service is responsive. Yet, I have been using them a lot over several years in a row without a hitch.

Xoom is a very promising option. Though they no longer accept funds from a PayPal account, they have made an agreement with Banco Itau whereby a transfer to Brazil will cost only USD 4.99. And they are fast! Transfer converts into a cash deposit within 24 hours on banking days.

Meanwhile if an unverified client pays me via PayPal with an eCheck, it takes 3-5 business day to clear. Then it takes 3-5 more days for them to transfer to a bank account in Brazil (to Itau - maybe in some other BR bank it's faster). So this may delay payment for up to two weeks.

I'm trying to shift my frequent international clients from PayPal to Xoom. If they have an accounting/auditing issue, IMO Xoom's documentation is much. much better than PayPal's. On PayPal they'll be sending money to an e-mail address. On Xoom they'll be sending funds to a fully identified bank account, with CPF, my name, street address, the works!

[Edited at 2011-01-13 13:34 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:20
English to Russian
+ ...
I had similar problem in the past Jan 13, 2011

And my bank was always the culprit.

Let's imagine that we withdraw 1 euro from MB; and the bank charges 6 euro for the incoming international transfer.
That was my problem once.

When I tried to withdraw monye to my credit card they appeared on the account in one month.
The bank officials checked this transfer manually and added money to my account in 30 days. They said it was according to the rules, in the same way they charge payments I make with my credit card.

If I were you I would visit the bank.

[Edited at 2011-01-13 15:11 GMT]

Michael Leite
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 13, 2011

Many thanks my dear colleagues.

I want to thank you all for the help.

I'll talk to my bank and see what happens.

Bye

Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Both Paypal and Moneybookers ... Jan 13, 2011

... put your Euros, dollars, etc. on your bank account in Brazil, in Reais !!

But there are 2 issues:

a) corresponding Brazilian banks take a "mordida" of about 20-40 US$ for every funds sent. So, it maybe a good idea do send only big amounts. Other colleagues say that Itau or Bradesco are faster;

b) you have to ask your "gerente" every day if your money went to your bank - can be done by phone. Some such "gerentes" did not even know that are other money different than R$ in the universe. And money may take a week to come to your account.

Absolutely strange, but Caixa Economica Federal has only 3 options to tell them for what the sent money is: own maintenance in Brazil, a donation / gift from overseas, or permanent salary from foreign company. Something middle-aged. Sporadic translations they do not know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moneybookers transfer to accounts in Brazil

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search