Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:42
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How we set up flat per word rates Jan 20, 2011

Felis, if you have been working with them for a long time, doing many projects, I would think you have set your rates based on the type of work you are getting from them, taking into consideration the content, format, deadlines, etc.
You created a single per word rate (a flat rate) that you use for all their projects, in spite of possible slight variations in the exact amount of work involved with the individual assignments. Sometimes there is extra work, because they are on holidays, not
... See more
Felis, if you have been working with them for a long time, doing many projects, I would think you have set your rates based on the type of work you are getting from them, taking into consideration the content, format, deadlines, etc.
You created a single per word rate (a flat rate) that you use for all their projects, in spite of possible slight variations in the exact amount of work involved with the individual assignments. Sometimes there is extra work, because they are on holidays, not communicating efficiently, etc. and sometimes there are productivity savings due to some repetitions. You have considered all these circumstances, and as a result, you came up with your per word rate, and have been using it with them all along. If I were you, I would explain this to them, along with the fact that this is in line with the contract you have with them. (In other words, the contract does not say anything about any sorts of discounts from this rate based on the specific characteristics of a project.)

If they want to change the terms of your working relationship for future work, you may consider renegotiating the terms of your contract. The new conditions may include a specific sliding rate structure, but obviously, you will raise your base rate, to arrive to a fair figure - after all, it is the time you are spending on the project that you need to be compensated for, and that cannot be less than before. Also, extra time spent on tasks not considered part of the normal scope of translation work will be charged on an hourly base. Again, I would explain this to them.

The per word rate is just one way of measuring the volume of work, at the end what you need to get paid for is your time.

I hope this helps.
Katalin

[Edited at 2011-01-20 15:20 GMT]
Collapse

J.Muldoon
J.Muldoon
Germany
Local time: 09:42
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to everybody for all your advice and opinions Jan 21, 2011

After a request from the PM for a "corrected" invoice, I felt too insulted to even grace it with an answer and decided that a period of silence would be the best reply.
The PM then made a final attempt to get me to reduce my fee, by dangling the lure of a further job for the same client in front of me (with the unstated condition that this depended on my giving in.)
Yeah right...
I said that I'd certainly be happy to take on another job (am working on another one so it would ha
... See more
After a request from the PM for a "corrected" invoice, I felt too insulted to even grace it with an answer and decided that a period of silence would be the best reply.
The PM then made a final attempt to get me to reduce my fee, by dangling the lure of a further job for the same client in front of me (with the unstated condition that this depended on my giving in.)
Yeah right...
I said that I'd certainly be happy to take on another job (am working on another one so it would have stretched me a bit, but I seriously doubted it really existed), but that my original invoice was valid and would not be changed.
The reply was "Ok, I'll enter your invoice but the job will go to someone else".
That's just fine by me, but I'll be keeping a sharp eye on my bank account to check that they actually pay up.
I'd rather have avoided all the stress and the cost (in lost working time) of the e-mail traffic but I'm glad I stood firm on this one. I'm heartily fed up of constantly being pushed to reduce my rates, give a little something extra, accept even worse terms...
My personal feeling is that our industry is full of too many non-professionals and part-timers, who'll put up with almost anything and give in to any demands, so agencies and clients feel it's worth trying it on.
If you want a discount, you ask before work starts, not when the invoice is due.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:42
French to German
+ ...
Definition of "professional" Jan 22, 2011

felis wrote:
(.../...)
My personal feeling is that our industry is full of too many non-professionals and part-timers, who'll put up with almost anything and give in to any demands, so agencies and clients feel it's worth trying it on. (.../...)

Maybe this will sound harsh or mean to some readers of this thread, but as "professionals", such agencies / clients should have enough ethics to not even think about pushing their subcontractors over the line to start with.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for discount after receiving invoice

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »