Ian Hawkins
Ian Hawkins  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:52
Spanish to English
Jan 21, 2011

Hi,

For my Argentine (or Argentine based) colleagues here in Buenos Aires:

I'm a British citizen and have been living here in Argentina as a permanent resident for nearly 10 years. I now make my living as a translator and I am fortunate enough to have regular work with a US client who send me US$ checks each month. Until now I have received 4 checks, all for amounts less than US$1000 and have had no problem cashing them (I use Banco Piano). Today when I went to ca
... See more
Hi,

For my Argentine (or Argentine based) colleagues here in Buenos Aires:

I'm a British citizen and have been living here in Argentina as a permanent resident for nearly 10 years. I now make my living as a translator and I am fortunate enough to have regular work with a US client who send me US$ checks each month. Until now I have received 4 checks, all for amounts less than US$1000 and have had no problem cashing them (I use Banco Piano). Today when I went to cash my latest check ( for a slightly higher amount than normal), they told me I have to wait for a month and that there are monthly restrictions. My workload is now increasing as I'm becoming more established (thankfully!!) and I was wondering how the Argentine based people here are managing the issue of liquidating their income from translation work coming from abroad. I could opt for paypal, but I think ultimately I would have the same problem once the check arrives.

Apologies if this topic has been dealt with numerous times on this forum, but having researched various threads, the most helpful was posted in 2007 so it may be a little outdated.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Ian
Collapse

Yamila Sosa
Yamila Sosa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:52
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other payment options Jan 22, 2011

Hi Ian,

I usually receive funds from my foreign clients by means of PayPal checks, Western Union and bank wire transfers. In connection with the first two options, you do not need to issue an invoice to get paid, but as regards the third alternative, you must submit an invoice to the bank in which you have your account. Fees vary depending on the option you choose. PayPal checks are a safe and cheap way of receiving funds. I know there are other ways of receiving funds through PayPa
... See more
Hi Ian,

I usually receive funds from my foreign clients by means of PayPal checks, Western Union and bank wire transfers. In connection with the first two options, you do not need to issue an invoice to get paid, but as regards the third alternative, you must submit an invoice to the bank in which you have your account. Fees vary depending on the option you choose. PayPal checks are a safe and cheap way of receiving funds. I know there are other ways of receiving funds through PayPal, such as a bank transfer. I mean, you can withdraw money from your PayPal account and deposit it in your bank account.

Good luck!

Yamila

[Edited at 2011-01-22 22:52 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cashing Checks in Argentine banks

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »