FREE

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:25
French to German
+ ...
New trick of the trade Jan 30, 2011

Some agencies begin (?) to say that they will estimate the price paid to translators on the basis of free translation tests, because this is more "objective".

[Modifié le 2011-01-30 11:39 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which ones? Jan 30, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
Some agencies begin (?) to say that they will estimate the price paid to translators on the basis of free translation tests, because this is more "objective".

Do you have a URL for that?

Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
? Jan 30, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

What do you mean? They won't discuss rates with you unless you take their test? And then they dictate rates based on your test result?

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's it! Jan 30, 2011

Simone Linke wrote:
What do you mean? They won't discuss rates with you unless you take their test? And then they dictate rates based on your test result?

That's the most frequent outcome I've had from taking translation tests. Yet the after-test rates are always very low.

So nowadays I direct them to my web site, 98% of which is bilingual. I wrote each and every word there in both languages, and it's much larger as a sample than anyone would ever dare to ask me. This makes them cease to ask me to take tests.

Translation outsourcers that are stupid enough to rely on tests* fail to see the obvious: A bilingual person is someone capable of expressing their own ideas in two different languages, while a translator is someone able to accurately express someone else's ideas in a different language. (Of course, my web site only contains my own ideas, so I was just a 'bilingual' there, not a 'translator'.)

* A few translators have tried to hire me to review/edit/proofread their tests for such agencies. Some of these would have been worth redoing from scratch.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
Maybe a more important question is.. Jan 30, 2011

.. who is actually revising such texts? What is the credibility of these revisers and how can we check them?

Rodna Ruskovska  Identity Verified
Macedonia (FYROM)
Macedonian to English
+ ...
You nailed it! Jan 30, 2011

Lingua 5B, you are sooo right!

Most of the time, the proofreaders don't even have to explain their choices, they are not obliged to give comments on what they base the correction that they make. No facts are given most of the time, nothing.

The translators are rigorously checked and the proofreaders are not! The proofreaders are blindly trusted. Crazy!

Also, a proofreader - an expert from the particular field cannot comment on language - grammar, syntax etc., unless he/she is a professional proofreader. This kind of proofreader can comment on the terminology, giving some general remark, but the professional proofreader and the translator should be the ones making the final decisions about the language (respecting the expert's comments of course) basing their choices on facts (if necessary).

Have a sunny Sunday, dear colleagues!

Macedonia (FYROM)
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Basing their choices on fact and explaining them if necessary Jan 30, 2011

I made a small mistake - wanted to clarify

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
Proofreader's comments Jan 30, 2011

.. I could write a bio about a proofreader based on their revision comments. Easily.

France
French to German
+ ...
No URL Jan 30, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Do you have a URL for that?

No URL: this is my personal (recent) experience with 2 agencies, hence the question mark after "begin" in my previous post. First time I see this, but maybe it is not that new?

[Edited at 2011-01-30 15:45 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
Yes... Jan 30, 2011

Simone Linke wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

or to be more precise, they dictate rates based on their assessment of one's test results.

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:25
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Are they serious? Jan 30, 2011

They do not want to pay for a short translation test... (saving their money on that) And they want high quality translation...

To me it's like they want to win a billion dollars in a lottery, but they do not want to pay a few bucks for the lottery ticket.

[Edited at 2011-01-30 16:06 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Speaking from experience? Jan 30, 2011

Rodna Ruskovska wrote:
Most of the time, the proofreaders don't even have to explain their choices, they are not obliged to give comments on what they base the correction that they make. No facts are given most of the time, nothing.

It sounds like you have been asked a few times by agencies to proofread translation tests done by others. Is that so?

The translators are rigorously checked and the proofreaders are not! The proofreaders are blindly trusted.

Yes, that can be a big problem. What would your solution be to that?

Macedonia (FYROM)
Macedonian to English
+ ...
They always pay the proofreaders Jan 30, 2011

I have never heard of anyone being asked to proofread a test translation for free.

Isn't it ironic?

Rodna

Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Oh yes Jan 30, 2011

Rodna Ruskovska wrote:

I have never heard of anyone being asked to proofread a test translation for free.

Isn't it ironic?

Rodna

Oh yes, I've been asked to do that.. the same agency asked for (repeated!) samples and also for free comments on the samples of others... needless to say I've stopped working for them.

@Laurent: uh, that's new indeed. Low rates, yes.. but based on test results? Urgh!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sure, I'll take the test, just don't use the F-word

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search