Canada
Local time: 05:59
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 30, 2011

Hello,

I received from a Costa Rican agency this e-mail :

"I've attached a letter which details our rates and general system of working in the translation department. Please review it and let me know if you agree with the terms. I would like to highlight that we also abide by the country's tax laws, which means that anyone living in another country, but earning some type of income in Costa Rica is required to pay a 15% tax. I realize that this sounds high, and while I couldn't agree more, it's part of our responsibility here as a company that works with the government and other public institutions. Should you proceed in this process and get work form us, we would afterwards email you a tax form showing what you paid which you could use for tax purposes."

Is it normal ? I've never faced such a situation before !

thanks

Annie Estéphan

Direct link Reply with quote

Marc Rizkallah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:59
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Any news? Apr 15, 2012

Hi Annie,
Sorry nobody replied to your post. What ended up happening, in the end? Did you find out whether it was legitimate or not? (no me lo parece...!)

Marc

Annie Estéphan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:59
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Apr 16, 2012

At the end, I asked a Canadian accountant and she said it was not legal, the agency is taking the money (15%) in the pocket of translators...it's a shame, I never worked for this agency and will never do so.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paying 15% tax for Costa Rica if living in Canada

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search