What rate should I use for repetitions
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 15:54
English to French
Feb 16, 2011

Hello,

A customer is asking for my rate for repetitions. How can I determine this rate? For example, should it be 20% lower than my standard rate/word?I don't want to give a too low or too high rate/word...

Thank you.

[Edited at 2011-02-16 16:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 16:54
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Fresh and original topic... Feb 16, 2011

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:

A customer is asking for my rate for repetitions. How can I determine this rate? For example, should it be 20% lower than my standard rate/word?

Oh, what a fresh and original topic to discuss! It seems it has never been touched upon at translators forums before...

Well, Alexandre, irony aside I can only repeat what I told you two hours ago here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/192091-discount_for_repeated_words-page2.html#1685582

To determine my rate for repetitive words I use a very simple procedure: I just apply the same rate which I use for all other words in the text being translated...

Sometimes when there are big chunks of repetitive absolutely identical text and there no any troubles with layout, formatting or other similar things that I have to keep my eye on I can simply exclude them from the word count. But it happens very rarely.

NK

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:54
Flemish to English
+ ...
None Feb 16, 2011

Hello,

A customer is asking for my rate for repetitions. How can I determine this rate? For example, should it be 20% lower than my standard rate/word?I don't want to give a too low or too high rate/word...

Thank you.

Simple: NONE or leave the repetitions out.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
English to German
+ ...
The rate should be 100% of your regular rate Feb 16, 2011

Weird - before there were CAT tools we worked with copy & paste and nobody would have dreamed of asking for a discount.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
In some cases... Feb 16, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Weird - before there were CAT tools we worked with copy & paste and nobody would have dreamed of asking for a discount.

In some cases, I still do work with that dinosaurian method - without discounts, that is!

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:54
Flemish to English
+ ...
A rare gem amongst the scrooges... Feb 16, 2011

From a posting

Total number of lines :

xxx lines of 55 characters (about xxxxx words) of which only half has to be translated again. The biggest part can be copied from the older version.

Hence, it is best to calculate your price according to the number of translated lines or words and according to the number of hours needed for the comparison of the files or only according to the number of hours needed to do the job.

It must be said: There are some rare gems amongst the scrooges of the translation world. Fair's fair.

[Edited at 2011-02-16 19:01 GMT]

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
* Feb 16, 2011

Hello,

Thank you.

0-74 %...............100 %
75-99 %...............66 %
100 % & repetitions...33 %

United States
English to German
+ ...
And this is helpful? Feb 17, 2011

Alexander Onishko wrote:

For whom?

Addendum:

Most definitely for the buyer. I still need to be convinced of how such discounts improve the profit margins of the seller. In retail, prices are marked up before they go on sale.

[Edited at 2011-02-17 00:40 GMT]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Charge what you are worth - or what the market will bear Feb 17, 2011

When you don't apply a repetition rate you put yourself in a position when you might charge the same amount for one hour of your work and for ten hours. Which might mean that you can easily undersell your services or outprice yourself out of the market - and you will not know yourself what you are really charging.

"Repetition rate" is just a metrics - contrary to what some are saying, not charging a repetition rate does not make you automatically rich, no more than choosing a source word count over a target character count. It all depends on the base rate and at the end of the day (or, rather, a month) it is the bottom line that counts.

It might also depend on the type of texts you are translating - in some of them it is only natural to apply repetitions (say, a manual for the next model where only 10% of the content changes), in some it is nonsense (think advertising, where every word needs to be placed very carefully).

United States
English to German
+ ...
I guess, you have to explain that one :-) Feb 17, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

contrary to what some are saying, not charging a repetition rate does not make you automatically rich

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Nicole Feb 17, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Alexander Onishko wrote:

For whom?

Addendum:

Most definitely for the buyer. I still need to be convinced of how such discounts improve the profit margins of the seller. In retail, prices are marked up before they go on sale.

[Edited at 2011-02-17 00:40 GMT]

I'm glad to see that there is at least one person who runs an agency and who is against discounts for repetitions, since many, many agencies and translators both think that this is standard practice, which I believe is totally untrue.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Regular Rate Feb 17, 2011

I think you should use your regular rate for repetitions because repetitions come with the job itself.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Common misconceptions` Feb 17, 2011

I've explained it here before in detail, as the topic appears regularly...

In many posts, even in this very topic, there is an underlying suggestion (enhanced by the use of word "discount") that repetition rates are somehow "unfair" or that you get paid less if you apply them. That is nonsense, of course - 2000 per project is the same when calculated with a 30/60/90 rate and with a 100% rate. In other words you are charged for each job exactly what you ask for it - the method of calculation used to arrive at that figure is of secondary importance.

It might be difficult in the beginning, but try to observe and note the effort, time and resources spent for particular assignments. Then you will know how much is "worth" and you can price it accordingly.

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
* Feb 17, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

It might also depend on the type of texts you are translating - in some of them it is only natural to apply repetitions (say, a manual for the next model where only 10% of the content changes), in some it is nonsense (think advertising, where every word needs to be placed very carefully).

Sure, it all depends on the type of texts are being translated. If it is a manual for the next model where only 10% of the content changes then yes, I won't charge for the whole text.

Jabberwock wrote:

It might be difficult in the beginning, but try to observe and note the effort, time and resources spent for particular assignments. Then you will know how much is "worth" and you can price it accordingly.

I always track and document for further reference everything I do. It really helps, I agree.

NK

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Exactly. Feb 17, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

In many posts, even in this very topic, there is an underlying suggestion (enhanced by the use of word "discount") that repetition rates are somehow "unfair" or that you get paid less if you apply them. That is nonsense, of course - 2000 per project is the same when calculated with a 30/60/90 rate and with a 100% rate. In other words you are charged for each job exactly what you ask for it - the method of calculation used to arrive at that figure is of secondary importance.

It couldnt've been said better. Also, the words "fair" and "should" pop up a lot around here, especially in the context of who "should benefit" from the use of CAT tools. I suggest we look at the market prices for a given product (considering quality, of course) and what determines whether or not you are able to complete a project, rather than at what is "fair".

[Edited at 2011-02-17 10:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What rate should I use for repetitions

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search