Rate for Diploma/Transcript translations?
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 10:04
English to French
Feb 24, 2011

Hello,

I must translate a US diploma and transcript in French but I have no clue of how much to charge this individual.
If I apply the rate/word system, it makes a rate that seems too low . Is it an arbitrary decision?

How much would you charge at minimum for such a translation? 80 euros? 100 euros? More?

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Minimum fee for small jobs Feb 24, 2011

I calculate it based on a fee per source word. However, if it's below a certain total, my minimum fee applies. This is because no matter how small the job, there are certain tasks that will take the same amount of time (bookkeeping, billing, following up if the payment is late, etc.). Whenever I quote rates, I say "XX cents per word with a YY minimum for short jobs."

If the document's formatting is unusually complicated and must be recreated in Word, then the per-word fee is slightly higher than it would be for a normal job.

[Edited at 2011-02-24 15:09 GMT]

Camelia Colnic  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:04
Romanian to English
+ ...
Standard prices Feb 24, 2011

I would put some standard price, as it is a diploma and it's around 200 and something words, I would charge between 20-30 EUR for example. If there are more pages, you can think about the time you need to translate them and name a price according to that, for example, if you need 2 hours, and you usually have your hourly interpreting for 25 EUR per hour, then you can charge somewhere around 40-50 EUR per the document. It depends now also if the client needs your signature or not. Try to look for prices in your country on diplomas/certificates translations. This may help you also.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About Minimum rate Feb 24, 2011

Dear Steven,

But how do you determine your "Minimum" rate? Is it 50 euros or 50 USD? I guess it is a personal choice according to how much one wishes to earn.

I think it is better to set the rate according to the complexity of the document, but I agree with you. One should never work for 10 euros/10 USD only (working for peanuts)

It's better to invest one's time in more lucrative translations, or am I wrong?

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About counting words in PDF: quick off-topic question Feb 24, 2011

By the way could anybody remind me the name of this very good software that allows the translator to count the number of words in a PDF document? I need it a lot right now!
I use Windows.I think it was a shareware, but I'm also looking for a freeware.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:04
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Per hour Feb 24, 2011

I try to make those documents look as closely as possible like the original and because the formatting is often what takes the most time, I charge per hour with a minimum of one hour.

[Edited at 2011-02-24 15:54 GMT]

Amar Nath  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:34
Member (2010)
English to Hindi
+ ...

Per page Feb 24, 2011

I am translating for a US based agency who deals with only immigration related documents such as diplomas/birth certificates/death certificates/marriage certificates etc. and they are charging per page $35 to the clients.

Out of that, they are paying $15 to translators and $5 to reviewers.
It is better to charge per page basis for such type of documents and you can make your own charge according to demand of your language pair.

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:04
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
I use AbracadabraPDF Feb 24, 2011

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:

By the way could anybody remind me the name of this very good software that allows the translator to count the number of words in a PDF document? I need it a lot right now!
I use Windows.I think it was a shareware, but I'm also looking for a freeware.

You can find it here: http://abracadabrapdf.net/

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for Diploma/Transcript translations?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search