Translation rate per day
Thread poster: Olga Marcos
Olga Marcos  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2011

Hello,

Since translators usually give a translation price per word, could you please help me and guide me as regards to a translation rate per DAY? Could someone please give me an approximate rate per day for translations form English to Spanish and viceversa?

Thank you very much in advance!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

cranium
French to English
+ ...
Use your monthly salary to calculate Feb 28, 2011

What do translators with your language combination and speciality make, on average, per month?
Divide that by 20 (4 weeks of 5 working days) and you have your minimum daily rate.
You may want to add to that, for example if you travel to work with a client on-site.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
That depends.. Feb 28, 2011

.. how many hours per day you will be working, and also what's your average hourly output?

Too little information to estimate a rate.

Olga Marcos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't know the average output Feb 28, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:

.. how many hours per day you will be working, and also what's your average hourly output?

Too little information to estimate a rate.

Hello, as regards to the hours it would be approximately 8h per day. However, I don't know the average hourly output, as the project still has to be defined and the number of words has to be established. That was why I was asking an approximate translation rate per day.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
Beware. Feb 28, 2011

Olga Marcos wrote:
Hello, as regards to the hours it would be approximately 8h per day. However, I don't know the average hourly output, as the project still has to be defined and the number of words has to be established. That was why I was asking an approximate translation rate per day.

So you don't even know the volume or work pace, and they want you to estimate a price? 8 hours of your availability and 8 hours of intense translation work are two different things.

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Italian to English
What's YOUR average output? Feb 28, 2011

Olga Marcos wrote:

However, I don't know the average hourly output, as the project still has to be defined and the number of words has to be established. That was why I was asking an approximate translation rate per day.

What's YOUR average hourly (or even better, daily) output for similar translations? That's the only way you can calculate this. Make sure you tell the client your quote is only approximate until you can see the whole file and work out how complicated it's going to be.

Vikas Chaturvedi
Local time: 04:03
Urdu to English
+ ...
upto You only ?? Feb 28, 2011

I have a translator who work 5000-7000 words daily. How much you can do on daily basis with quality translation. just calculate this and then decide.

Nani Delgado  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
German to Spanish
. Feb 28, 2011

translationlabs wrote:

I have a translator who work 5000-7000 words daily.

Wow, that´s a lot!

I also think that nobody can tell any average for anything since it depends on the subject, your own skills and other things, some of them you should better clear with your client.

[Edited at 2011-02-28 15:36 GMT]

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
French to English
since no-one gives any figures Mar 1, 2011

€200 + 13.3 x N° of years experience

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:33
French to English
+ ...
Range of words Mar 1, 2011

Nani Delgado wrote:

translationlabs wrote:

Wow, that´s a lot!

I also think that nobody can tell any average for anything since it depends on the subject, your own skills and other things, some of them you should better clear with your client.

Yes, that's unrealistic as a normal rate of words per day. Obviously, pieces of string may vary in length, but as ballpark figures, I would suggest:

- about 2,000 words / day for a text of "average" difficulty whose subject matter you're reasonably experienced with, maybe up to 2,500 if you have more experience
- more like 1,000-1,500 words / day for texts that require a moderate amount of research
- up to 3,000/4,000 words / day for texts with fairly simple language and/or whose subject matter you're extremely familiar with (maybe things like minutes of meetings with quite "chatty" non-technical content, for example, or the text on a topic that just happened to be the subject of your Master's thesis)

I personally don't think that basing your business model on 5,000-7,000 words/day/person is realistic, for a whole variety of reasons...

[Edited at 2011-03-01 06:09 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too little information Mar 1, 2011

I think you don't give enough information for a proper judgement. Please answer the following:

- How long will the assignment last?

- Are you an expert in the type of materials expected?

- Does the customer require some translation tool in particular? If they do, are you familiar with the tool? How much slower does this tool make you, compared with your usual tool?

- What daily volume is expected from you? How many hours do you normally require to translate that number of words (as mentioned by the colleague, each person is able to translate a different amount of words per day)?

- How come charging by words is not an option? If you translated the expected daily volume in your home, how much would you be charging for that day? Would it be more or less than a "daily rate"?

- How far is the customer's location from your home? What costs and commuting time will that require?

As you can see, there are many factors you have to consider. Be a businessperson and take it all into account.

If the customer asked me, I would:
- Calculate how much commuting time it would mean, and charge that at an hourly rate.

- Charge the customer for the cost of transportation. If I used my own car to get there, I would charge at least 20 cents per kilometer made.

- Offer the customer to charge a minimum daily price of 3,000 words x my rate, but making clear that any words translated over 3,000 words in a single day will be paid separately at my usual rate.

And a caveat:
If this was a proposal by your customer, I think you should be aware of the risk that the customer wants to send documents at unreasonable moments of the day and will want them translated in a flash. I also see a risk that they expect more words from you than you can reasonably offer in 8 hours of work.

[Edited at 2011-03-01 06:34 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maximum of 2,500 words? Mar 1, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:
translationlabs wrote:

Yes, that's unrealistic as a normal rate of words per day. Obviously, pieces of string may vary in length, but as ballpark figures, I would suggest:
- about 2,000 words / day for a text of "average" difficulty whose subject matter you're reasonably experienced with, maybe up to 2,500 if you have more experience
- more like 1,000-1,500 words / day for texts that require a moderate amount of research
- up to 3,000/4,000 words / day for texts with fairly simple language and/or whose subject matter you're extremely familiar with (maybe things like minutes of meetings with quite "chatty" non-technical content, for example, or the text on a topic that just happened to be the subject of your Master's thesis)

I personally don't think that basing your business model on 5,000-7,000 words/day/person is realistic, for a whole variety of reasons...

Although I agree that basing your rates upon 5,000 words a day is unreasonable, I think that if you don't manage to translate 3,500-4,000 words a day of a subject you know well... you should really think about what is slowing you down. Is it that you should learn to typewrite better? Is it the software? Is it distraction?

[Edited at 2011-03-01 06:27 GMT]

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Mar 1, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:

Nani Delgado wrote:

translationlabs wrote:

Wow, that´s a lot!

Yes, that's unrealistic as a normal rate of words per day.

I do 5000-7000 of technical texts in a day and never had a problem with quality.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The forgotten factor Mar 1, 2011

Most of the answers above have concentrated on the translator's ability to produce words. There is another much more important factor; namely, the circumstances of the potential client. You must try to understand how much the client is prepared to pay for the work and the deadline. If your client is happy to pay 100 euros an hour then - hey presto - your day rate is 800 euros or more. Of course, discovering this information is not always easy but success can be very profitable.

The factors related to you and your capacities are of secondary importance when compared to understanding the client's needs, abilities, and perceptions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation rate per day

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search