Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 5, 2011

Hi everyone

First of all I´m not sure if this is the right forum, so in case it isn´t, one of the moderators please feel free to move it to the correct one.

I have my paypal account set up in the UK, i.e. my primary currency is Pound Sterling (but I also accept Euros and Dollars).
Now my primary (and in fact so far only) account to withdraw money to is in the UK as well.

However I would like to add a German account to it and have now discovered that the form you have to fill in to add an account only allows 6-digit sort codes, but German sort codes are obviously longer.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem and how did you solve it (if at all)?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Manuela

Direct link Reply with quote

Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Paypal accounts - different countries Mar 5, 2011

Hi, Manuela.

I hope you are having a good Saturday.

I set my PayPal accounts a few years ago now so I'm not sure as to what may or may not have changed in the meantime. However, I initially had a British GBP bank account and opened a PayPal account linking to the said bank account.

A while later I opened a current account in Portugal and wanted to be able to withdraw funds to that account when required. I tried to set up this facility in my Paypal account but was unable to so contacted PayPal support.

The result was that it was not possible to do this and I had to open a separate PayPal account linking to my Portuguese account.

As I mentioned, I don't know whether this may have changed chez PayPal but if you can't find a solution, maybe setting up a further account would be the simplest and quickest way forward.

All the best,

Julie Anne

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Julie Mar 5, 2011

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Yes, that sounds like an idea, setting up an additional account.

However, I would have to do this under a different e-mail address, wouldn´t I?

So how do you do this then? Do you tell people who are paying you which e-mail address to use, or would you just have them pay to your original paypal account, as usual, and would then transfer the money from this one (the original or first one - whatever you want to call iticon_smile.gif to your new (European) paypal account yourself, in order to be able to withdraw to a European bank account?

I hope it´s clear what I´m trying to say here, I have to admit it sounds a bit confusing.

Manuela

Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:44
Danish to English
+ ...
bank accounts must be in the same country Mar 5, 2011

My paypal account is in the U.S. and linked to two U.S. bank accounts. I also have an account in Denmark which I tried to link to my paypal not too long ago. As I recall, I also learned that the accounts must be in the same country in which you signed up (or something along that line) and so the only way to get payment which I could transfer to my Danish account would be to set up a separate paypal account (with a different email address, yes).

Manuela Junghans wrote:

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Yes, that sounds like an idea, setting up an additional account.

However, I would have to do this under a different e-mail address, wouldn´t I?

So how do you do this then? Do you tell people who are paying you which e-mail address to use, or would you just have them pay to your original paypal account, as usual, and would then transfer the money from this one (the original or first one - whatever you want to call iticon_smile.gif to your new (European) paypal account yourself, in order to be able to withdraw to a European bank account?

I hope it´s clear what I´m trying to say here, I have to admit it sounds a bit confusing.

Manuela

If you get paid to one paypal and then transfer the money to another in order to withdraw to your other bank account, you may incur double fees from paypal. I imagine that the amount transferred to your second account would be treated as a payment and so you would lose the 3-4% fee (again).
Your best bet (hassle as it is) would probably be to decide for each invoice which account you want the money to go to and list your paypal address accordingly.

AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:44
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
question Mar 7, 2011

Hi,
I do not use paypal because I thought it accepts dollars only; can you get paid in Euro?

Thanks.

Anne-Marie

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point, Signe Mar 7, 2011

..(or rather not so good actually) that you will incur double fees when transferring between two paypal accounts.

Seems like a lot of hassle and rather inconvenient to withdraw money to an account in a country which is not your country of residence, i.e. the country for which you´ve set up your paypal account.

A shame that such a big enterprise like paypal cannot (or doesn´t want to) make it possible to withdraw to accounts in different countries. But then for them it makes sense, as they can charge you more in fees.

@Anne-Marie

You can accept all sorts of currencies, as far as I know.

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:44
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Different currencies possible in PayPal Mar 7, 2011

AnneMarieG wrote:

Hi,
I do not use paypal because I thought it accepts dollars only; can you get paid in Euro?

Thanks.

Anne-Marie

Yes, you can accept various world currencies in your PP account. You just set it up to receive whatever currencies you desire (of those available), and when someone sends it to you, it will stay in your PP account as a balance in that currency.

However, if you wish to withdraw the money to a bank account not in that particular currency, or otherwise convert it (say, use a Euro balance to buy something in $), then a conversion fee applies (on top of any fees for receiving the money in the first place - ouch!). Better to just keep oddball currency balances in the PP account until you find something to buy that is denominated in that currency.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal question

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search