Fees for TB building - Advice/pointers sought
Thread poster: Jeff Skinner

Jeff Skinner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:30
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2011

Hello all - this isn't strictly a freelancing question, but this is the first place I thought of for turning to advice.

I'm an in-house translator in Stockholm, and we have a client we're negotiating with. They want to know how much we'd charge for building translation resources out of their projects. We use memoQ here, so building a TM is automatic; I don't think it would make much sense to charge for it. Building a TB, on the other hand, is work that could justifiably be charged to the client. Does anyone have any experience with calculating rates for that kind of job?

Thanks very much in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hourly rate for both TM and TB Mar 23, 2011

Jeff Skinner wrote:

I'm an in-house translator in Stockholm, and we have a client we're negotiating with. They want to know how much we'd charge for building translation resources out of their projects. We use memoQ here, so building a TM is automatic; I don't think it would make much sense to charge for it.

MemoQ often misaligns segments (though it's more accurate than some CAT tools). When aligning clients' existing translations into memoQ, I always check the alignment and usually have to match a bunch of source segments to the right target segments manually. Often this involves splitting or joining segments. If the client only supplies a few short translations for alignment, I don't charge for it. But if it's going to take more than 20 minutes, I include the time in my price quote.

My usual approach in these cases is to estimate how long both tasks will take (TM and TB), add 25% and quote a total price based on an hourly rate. If it takes less time than expected, I bill for the actual number of hours I worked. (The client is then pleasantly surprised at the lower cost.) If it takes longer, I bill the estimated amount and eat the additional cost myself. This gives me an incentive to be sure I'm not underestimating the task.

Before preparing the estimate, I take a careful look at the supplied translations. If they are bad, I suggest not creating resources from them. If they are good but use inconsistent terminology, I add hours to the estimate for rationalization of the terms and for communication with the client about which words to use.

[Edited at 2011-03-23 15:38 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fees for TB building - Advice/pointers sought

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search