Your travel expenses paid directly by client?
Thread poster: veratek

veratek
Brazil
Local time: 22:50
French to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2011

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has done a job which required travel and the client paid your tickets and lodging directly, instead of you paying it first and then including the amount as part of your bill for the job, therefore getting reimbursed for your travel expenses later on.

Is this rare? Do you usually pay for all the travel costs and then bill the client?

Direct link Reply with quote

Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 02:50
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Both are possible Mar 23, 2011

I've had both cases, even for the same client. I regularly have to travel to a client in France, and sometimes they arrange the hotel and sometimes they ask me to arrange everything myself and then invoice them for it.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The normal way Mar 23, 2011

The normal way is for the client to book and pay directly for all your possible travel expenses. First, they might have corporate discounts at some travel agency, hotel, airline, whatever. Second, it allows them to select the kind of accomodation they can afford. If there is no vacancy other than luxury suites, they won't have a reason to complain, either if you stay in a more pricey accomodation, nor in case you fail to move to another hotel because the only vacant bed they had on that day was in the presidential suite. They will have booked it. Third, you re not expected to finance your client's operations with your money or credit.

If this is impossible for any reason, they should provide you with a cash advance for travel expenses, which should give you an idea on their budget. You can always research in advance and tell them it's too little for the place where they need you to be.

If meals are not included with the hotel/event, you may pay on your own, as long as you have their firm commitment that you will be reimbursed for them promptly.

IMO translation/interpreting and money lending are quite diverse lines of business. As I've never seen a bank offering translation/interpreting services, I assume that is not normal for translators to lend money to their clients.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:50
French to English
+ ...
Mixture Mar 23, 2011

I've had a mixture of both: the client booked and paid for my hotel accommodation and food (presumably because they had preferential rates at the prestigious hotel in question), but we decided it would be easier if I drove myself and claimed the mileage, at a mutually acceptable rate, which they then settled with my invoice for the job. They were going to book train tickets in the first instance, but it proved too complicated to arrange timings for myself and other translators involved on the job, so this seemed easier.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Same here Mar 24, 2011

I've had both and for the same reasons no doubt. One job comes up every couple of years and the client moves his whole team to a hotel for two weeks or more. I am taken on for 7-10 days. Everything is taken care of for me (except lunch, but who's complaining?!). The client obtains a good rate when numbers are high so it's good news for all.

I have also had the situation where I negotiate an all-inclusive price, book accommodation myself but allow for it in the invoice.

Basically, if you have to travel for a job, the cost is to be borne by the client :
- as a separate item/invoice
- as a service the client takes care of lock stock 'n' barrel
- as an additional amoutn you add to your invoice to make sure you cover what is necessary

Nikki

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Both are possible Mar 24, 2011

But I personally prefer the client handling travel directly, and when I have to make the arrangements, being reimbursed for the vouchers. This is because of the added paperwork (less VAT, add my own VAT, declare VAT for expenses, factor in items...). After all, they've probably got an entire department to do all that for them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your travel expenses paid directly by client?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search