Payment formalities for a freelance translation project
Thread poster: Ritamar

Ritamar
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 29, 2011

I am new to proz. and I was wondering how can I get paid and/or pay to a freelancer when it's all virtual? note that the only money transfer means i have in my region is western union. On the other hand, should I trust a freelancer and send the total translation fees before i receive anything? also, should I ask to get paid before i handle a translation? how do I trust and be trusted in a virtual community?

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Direct link Reply with quote

George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Get a paypal account Mar 29, 2011

Go to the Paypal site and register for an account with a given email address. It's completely free.

Ritamar
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no paypal for my region, only Western Union Mar 29, 2011

Thank you, but how does it work anyway?

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Why virtual? Mar 29, 2011

Don´t forget ordinary mail still exists.
You can send two written copies of a business agreement between you and a translator to the translator.
He or she signs both paper copies and sends one of them to you.
It takes not more than a week in any case.

[Edited at 2011-03-29 10:53 GMT]

Ritamar
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In case of urgent jobs Mar 29, 2011

Thank you, but in case of urgent jobs with tight deadlines, a customer cannot wait a week to proceed. But thanks anyway.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
About trustworthiness of a freelancer Mar 29, 2011

I think that you should check whether the translator is a member of any professional association. That alone gives you a fair degree of certainty that you are dealing with a professional person.

I would ask the person whether he/she belongs to such an association and would verify that via the association's directory online.

Romina Eva Pérez Escorihuela
Argentina
Local time: 08:21
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check the Blue Board Mar 29, 2011

Hello Ritamar, welcome to ProZ!

If you will do a translation for an agency registered at ProZ, check the Blue Board first and before you accept the job: there you'll se their "reputation", based in rating and comments given by translators that worked for them previously... that will help you decide whether you'll accept working for them or not.

Good luck!
Romina

Ritamar
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It really helped Apr 7, 2011

Thank you all for your suggestions, they've been of great value. I actually browsed some names of companies as well as individuals and I find the BB very helpful, it shows how things are being handled in the best benefit of all parties.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment formalities for a freelance translation project

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search