Job proposal
Thread poster: Michael Leite

Michael Leite
Brazil
Local time: 02:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 29, 2011

Hello friends,


I have worked for a big translation company in Portugal for some months. They like my work and invited me to your as an on-site translator for Brazilian Portuguese.

So here is my question:

Do you have any idea of how much an on-site translator earn in Europe? Or specifically in Portugal?

I'd like to have an idea, an average at least, in order to know if their proposal is fair.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

veratek
Brazil
Local time: 02:41
French to English
+ ...
salaries vary Mar 30, 2011

I think you can't really get a good idea with an average for "Europe" because the salaries vary so much across the continent. Have you tried searching job posting sites in Portugal? Sometimes the ad will state a salary range or specific salary.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Inna Borymova  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:41
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Time to sell//yourself Mar 30, 2011

Do you have an idea how much a month you earn on the average? This is the figure YOU should use as basic when claiming for a fixed salary. Depending on the market conditions and job requirements you can reduce it by 20-25% (as a compensation for more relaxed life and stable salary guarantee) or increase if you feel they are very much interested.
It is better to ask more than you expect. They can start negotiations if they can't afford your price but you must be comfortable with your future salary.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Portugal pays are very low Mar 30, 2011

I worked on site for an agency in Portugal and the incomes varied a great deal based on where you came from.

For Spanish people, the income was 1000 EUR monthly.
For Portuguese people, it was around 600-700 EUR.
And for Brazilians I don't know how much it was, but they said it was lower than the Portuguese...

Hope it helps


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Leite
Brazil
Local time: 02:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 30, 2011

Many thanks for the tip. I'll do it.

veratek wrote:

I think you can't really get a good idea with an average for "Europe" because the salaries vary so much across the continent. Have you tried searching job posting sites in Portugal? Sometimes the ad will state a salary range or specific salary.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Leite
Brazil
Local time: 02:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 30, 2011

Many thanks! Great idea. I should really do that.

Inna Borymova wrote:

Do you have an idea how much a month you earn on the average? This is the figure YOU should use as basic when claiming for a fixed salary. Depending on the market conditions and job requirements you can reduce it by 20-25% (as a compensation for more relaxed life and stable salary guarantee) or increase if you feel they are very much interested.
It is better to ask more than you expect. They can start negotiations if they can't afford your price but you must be comfortable with your future salary.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Leite
Brazil
Local time: 02:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 30, 2011

Hello, thanks for the reply.

This is ridiculously too low and paying according to the nationality! Unbelievable.

Paula Hernández Sambeat wrote:

I worked on site for an agency in Portugal and the incomes varied a great deal based on where you came from.

For Spanish people, the income was 1000 EUR monthly.
For Portuguese people, it was around 600-700 EUR.
And for Brazilians I don't know how much it was, but they said it was lower than the Portuguese...

Hope it helps


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Put a price on your current customers Mar 30, 2011

Well, Paula gave you a good idea already, but I want to add something to Inna's excelent advice: if you switch from freelancing to in-house, you will most likely loose your current customers. So my mental exercise would be to put a price on them, and compare it to the job offer.

You could also think it in terms of time: how long will it take you, after leaving the in-house position, to find new customers and recover your current work volume/income?

Andrés

Inna Borymova wrote:

Do you have an idea how much a month you earn on the average? This is the figure YOU should use as basic when claiming for a fixed salary. Depending on the market conditions and job requirements you can reduce it by 20-25% (as a compensation for more relaxed life and stable salary guarantee) or increase if you feel they are very much interested.
It is better to ask more than you expect. They can start negotiations if they can't afford your price but you must be comfortable with your future salary.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Leite
Brazil
Local time: 02:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 31, 2011

Hello Andres

Many thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure it will be really useful.

Michael

Andres & Leticia Enjuto wrote:

Well, Paula gave you a good idea already, but I want to add something to Inna's excelent advice: if you switch from freelancing to in-house, you will most likely loose your current customers. So my mental exercise would be to put a price on them, and compare it to the job offer.

You could also think it in terms of time: how long will it take you, after leaving the in-house position, to find new customers and recover your current work volume/income?

Andrés

Inna Borymova wrote:

Do you have an idea how much a month you earn on the average? This is the figure YOU should use as basic when claiming for a fixed salary. Depending on the market conditions and job requirements you can reduce it by 20-25% (as a compensation for more relaxed life and stable salary guarantee) or increase if you feel they are very much interested.
It is better to ask more than you expect. They can start negotiations if they can't afford your price but you must be comfortable with your future salary.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job proposal

Advanced search







Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search