Thread poster: Lany Chabot-Laroche
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:38
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Percentage Apr 6, 2011

Lany Chabot-Laroche wrote:

What % is a reasonable finder's fee in this industry?

0% in my opinion.

Here is more info, I've been contacted by an agency for a big translation project (around 2 million words) and the agency backed down, but gave me the ok to tell others about the offer.

I know at least 1 agency that might be interested, and I'm wondering how much would be fair to ask and what steps to take to make sure I get what I am promised, what kind of contract do I need?

So, Agency A backed out, you think Agency B would take the job. What I would do in a similar situation is talk to the boss of Agency B, tell them what you know about the job and ask if they're interested. If they are, request that you be put on the translator team and assigned whatever quantity you feel like taking on. Perhaps let them know which part of the project (type of text) you'd fancy most. Then put them in contact with the client and let them work out the details.
Being able to control your own workload and generating some goodwill is the most you should be looking to get out of this, in my opinion.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Please ignore: other post reappeared Apr 6, 2011

Hello Lany,
I must have messed up while sending my previous posting, so I'll keep it short this time.

Find some agencies that seem capable of providing the service and then contact them to see if they have any interest in making you an offer ("finder's fee" or other conditions) for your information. Compare the offers and then select one, renegotiate, or give up because it's taking too long.

"No value, no pay," is correct, but someone may be interested - particula
... See more
Hello Lany,
I must have messed up while sending my previous posting, so I'll keep it short this time.

Find some agencies that seem capable of providing the service and then contact them to see if they have any interest in making you an offer ("finder's fee" or other conditions) for your information. Compare the offers and then select one, renegotiate, or give up because it's taking too long.

"No value, no pay," is correct, but someone may be interested - particularly along the lines suggested by FarkasAndras. The near-acquisition of a major project would certainly be worth money to me.

Sincerely,
Michael

[Edited at 2011-04-06 13:39 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
post disappeared Apr 6, 2011

Michael Wetzel wrote:
I must have messed up while sending my previous posting...

My reply has also appeared and disappeared every now and then... I wonder what's going on here? If a post is hidden or removed by a moderator, you normally get a mail, but I got no such mails.

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:38
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Updates! Apr 6, 2011

Well, I did message the agency yesterday just before posting this question. Please note that I worked with them in-house for 2 years and that I left in good terms.

Here is what they think:

They have already received the email from this client (I didn't say the name, but general area of business, I'm pretty sure they can guess it's the same one from the volume and deadlines I gave) and find it very noble of me to have thought of them for this job. They then invite me to
... See more
Well, I did message the agency yesterday just before posting this question. Please note that I worked with them in-house for 2 years and that I left in good terms.

Here is what they think:

They have already received the email from this client (I didn't say the name, but general area of business, I'm pretty sure they can guess it's the same one from the volume and deadlines I gave) and find it very noble of me to have thought of them for this job. They then invite me to work on the project if they win the bid. Closing statement is reiterating how noble that was of me in a very serious tone.

So all in all, that worked out pretty well, we can only hope they get the contract now.

Thought I still have no clue what a finder's fee would be on a project I'm not qualified to be part of, but that can wait for now
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:38
German to English
+ ...
Apparently it is done Apr 6, 2011

I have been offered a finder's fee before, but have an NDA with the agency, so can't say any more. I don't think this is as crazy and weird as others made it out to be.

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
A little off topic, but... Apr 12, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

We really need some kind of a tongue-in-cheek smiley for our forum.

Yesssss!!!! Here and around! I'm always surprised when one has to explain or apologize for irony or une énormité. I suppose that we are so much "into" the issue that we cannot feel the tickle... Well, as Bernard Werber [L’Encyclopédie du Savoir Relatif et Absolu] put it :

«Entre ce que je pense, ce que je veux dire, ce que je crois dire, ce que je dis, ce que vous avez envie d'entendre, ce que vous entendez, ce que vous comprenez... il y a dix possibilités qu'on ait des difficultés à communiquer. Mais essayons quand même!»

"Between what i think, what i want to say, what i believe i say, what i say, what you want to hear, what you hear, what you understand... there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating. But let's try anyway."

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lemon... Apr 12, 2011

10-15 translators does not sound like too big a project for any agency, even a small one. They could find 10-15 translators in a few days of intense work. Looks like a lemon to me.

If you have a healthy, friendly relationship with an agency that is in a position to bid for and get the job, to me it would be a bit greedy to ask for a finder's fee in this situation. You probably want to be a useful business partner to them, and quite surely you would be their preferred translator for
... See more
10-15 translators does not sound like too big a project for any agency, even a small one. They could find 10-15 translators in a few days of intense work. Looks like a lemon to me.

If you have a healthy, friendly relationship with an agency that is in a position to bid for and get the job, to me it would be a bit greedy to ask for a finder's fee in this situation. You probably want to be a useful business partner to them, and quite surely you would be their preferred translator for ever (as long as you keep the same quality and level of service you provide now), which would yield far more income to you in the long run.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
0 dollars, then Apr 12, 2011

Here is what they think:

They have already received the email from this client (I didn't say the name, but general area of business, I'm pretty sure they can guess it's the same one from the volume and deadlines I gave) and find it very noble of me to have thought of them for this job. They then invite me to work on the project if they win the bid. Closing statement is reiterating how noble that was of me in a very serious tone.

So all in all, that worked out pretty well, we can only hope they get the contract now.

Thought I still have no clue what a finder's fee would be on a project I'm not qualified to be part of, but that can wait for now

See? You get nothing. Did you honestly expect to get some money out of an endeavour in which you do no work?

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I do get nothing Apr 12, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Here is what they think:

See? You get nothing. Did you honestly expect to get some money out of an endeavour in which you do no work?

They were already aware of that particular offer, so I wouldn't have gotten anything one way or the other, but by doing what I did, I still have the opportunity to work for them if they win the bid.

But I don't agree that having good contacts and taking the time to get all the info for a project and to send it to an agency that I know has the right resources counts as doing no work at all.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well, very little then! Apr 12, 2011

But I don't agree that having good contacts and taking the time to get all the info for a project and to send it to an agency that I know has the right resources counts as doing no work at all.

Well, we also spend plenty of time receiving, organising, and analysing files, doing tests, writing emails... and very often are paid nothing because (at least from the point of view of the purchaser) we haven't done anything in the project.

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 16:38
French to English
+ ...
no surprise at all - all kinds of people on the forum Apr 12, 2011

Germaine wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

We really need some kind of a tongue-in-cheek smiley for our forum.

Yesssss!!!! Here and around! I'm always surprised when one has to explain or apologize for irony or une énormité.

I'm never surprised, given the behaviors and kinds of people that pop up here and there on this forum. "All kinds of people who say all kinds of things" is an understatement...

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes! Apr 12, 2011

So, your advice is that I should let that client find its agency alone, let that agency find its clients alone and just mind my own business?

Seems like a good idea to me!

BDF

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finder's fee

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »