What can I do if an international client doesn't want to pay?
Thread poster: Ángel Belinchón

Ángel Belinchón  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:38
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

Hello,

I have a problem with a client who doesn't want to pay for an invoice issued almost 1 year ago!
I know how to deal with these kind of clients in Spain (my country).
The problem is that Spanish and EU laws don't apply for my client from Canada.
What can I do to force due payment?
Is there any international procedure for these kind of cases?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Justas Staniulis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 02:38
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
A few suggestions Apr 8, 2011

1. Leave an entry in the Blue Board. It would warn other translators that this client is not to be trusted. Also, from my experience negative entry regarding non-payment makes miracles. I've had very few such problems during 8 years (twice, I think), and in both cases I've promptly received payment after mentioning this on Blue Board.
2. If this does not help try contacting international debt collection agency. Unfortunately this is not really an option if the invoice amount is small.

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I second that Apr 8, 2011

Justas Staniulis wrote:

1. Leave an entry in the Blue Board. It would warn other translators that this client is not to be trusted. Also, from my experience negative entry regarding non-payment makes miracles.

And if your client is not in the Blue Board yet, you can add it.

Regards,

Elías

Ángel Belinchón  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I need more, I guess... Apr 8, 2011

Thanks a lot for your comments.

However, this client has a huge list of bad rates in BlueBoard and it seems not to worry them.

Do you know of any other way to put preassure on them?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Refuse to pay or just neglect to pay? Apr 8, 2011

TraduccionesABC wrote:
I have a problem with a client who doesn't want to pay for an invoice issued almost 1 year ago!
?

Do they refuse to pay or do they simply neglect to pay? If the latter, then aggressive follow-up would be one of your steps. How many times have you phoned them?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blueboard is for sharing Apr 8, 2011

Justas Staniulis wrote:
1. Leave an entry in the Blue Board. It would warn other translators that this client is not to be trusted. Also, from my experience negative entry regarding non-payment makes miracles. I've had very few such problems during 8 years (twice, I think), and in both cases I've promptly received payment after mentioning this on Blue Board.

Although I presume we are very much on the same page here, I must make a strong point about the fact that the Blueboard should not be used as a collection method. It should be used to share important, useful reliability/business partnership information with your fellow colleagues.

Adding an entry to the Blueboard should be totally independent of being paid or not and it is supposed to give other translators an indication of whether they could be skating on thin ice by working with some companies.

Additionally, the bad comment and score in the Blueboard should stay even if you are paid. Having to ask for your money for weeks on end is enough a bad sign about an outsourcer and it is your duty to help others stay far from people who will cause you trouble.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:38
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Skating on thin ice Apr 8, 2011

"Adding an entry to the Blueboard should be totally independent of being paid or not and it is supposed to give other translators an indication of whether they could be skating on thin ice by working with some companies."

Does "skating on thin ice" not include the risk of slow or non payment???

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can I do if an international client doesn't want to pay?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search