Thread poster: juditcsokoladek
juditcsokoladek
juditcsokoladek
Local time: 07:09
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2011

Hi everyone!

I have been asked to give my hourly rate for a 2 months translation project in London. Field: IT. It is an in house translator position with the language combination English-Hungarian.
I am not familiar with payment terms in the UK, so I hope to get some advice from you.

Thank you

Judit

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Really in-house? Apr 13, 2011

When you say in-house, what exactly are we talking about?

A freelance contract at their premises? In this case they would ask you for your rate. Maybe you should consider increasing your normal rate to cover travelling expenses and time, meals etc. Then again, as it's a guaranteed 7 or 8 hours per day perhaps you would be happy with less.

A temporary, salaried position? In this case, why are they asking for your rates? They should be offering you a salary.

juditcsokoladek
juditcsokoladek
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
freelance Apr 13, 2011

It is a freelance contract, but as the hourly rate in Hungary can not be compared to the one in England so I don't know what a realistic hourly rate would be.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How much do you want to make in an hour? Apr 13, 2011

Your profile says you live in the UK, so I assume you have a general idea of living expenses (housing, food, healthcare, transportation, clothing, etc.)
You probably took all these living expenses into consideration and decided on your translation rate, so you could achieve your desired income, right?

You can do the same thing for your hourly rate.
In other words, your hourly rate should be no less than what would result in your desired income (on a per day or per month
... See more
Your profile says you live in the UK, so I assume you have a general idea of living expenses (housing, food, healthcare, transportation, clothing, etc.)
You probably took all these living expenses into consideration and decided on your translation rate, so you could achieve your desired income, right?

You can do the same thing for your hourly rate.
In other words, your hourly rate should be no less than what would result in your desired income (on a per day or per month base).
Desired (weekly/monthly) income divided by work hours (in a week/month) = rate per hour

Katalin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hourly rate for in house translator in London

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »