Internship translation 3 - 6 month (payment?)
Thread poster: lightinacube
lightinacube
lightinacube
English to German
Apr 15, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am an translation student (M. A.). I have already finished a B. A. study in translation (English to German).
I would like for a company which translates online games from EN into DE during an internship and I'll have an telephone interview next week. The company pays me but I guess I will have to negogiate. It is a part time internship and I am not sure how much they should pay me (e. g. 10 Euros a hour, or 11 cent per word....?9 Can you help me out? Thank you i
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am an translation student (M. A.). I have already finished a B. A. study in translation (English to German).
I would like for a company which translates online games from EN into DE during an internship and I'll have an telephone interview next week. The company pays me but I guess I will have to negogiate. It is a part time internship and I am not sure how much they should pay me (e. g. 10 Euros a hour, or 11 cent per word....?9 Can you help me out? Thank you in advance!

Stephanie
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
As far as I know Apr 15, 2011

you are not in the position to negotiate. It's an internship, so you either take it or leave it.

In the countries I am familiar with (Spain, Portugal, UK) internships might not even be paid at all. Having said that, my former colleagues at university who have done internships in Germany were getting paid €600, though I do not know whether they were working full-time or part-time.

Good luck!

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:12
Dutch to English
10 euros or 11 cents Apr 15, 2011

There's a big difference between 10 euros an hour and 11 cents a word. The latter works out at around 35 Euros an hour if you translate 2500 words a day. That would be very good pay for an internship.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Apr 15, 2011

I assume an internship means you actually work on their premises, in which case I don't think you should accept payment on a per-word basis. If there's no work, you go home empty-handed!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:12
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Good pay for anybody Apr 15, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

There's a big difference between 10 euros an hour and 11 cents a word. The latter works out at around 35 Euros an hour if you translate 2500 words a day. That would be very good pay for an internship.

11ct is a normal freelancer rate but we have to pay all sorts of things from it that a salaried employer wouldn't have to bear - it's our own electricity, internet connection, computer, paper ...

On the other hand, a freelancer couldn't survive on 10 euros per hour but it is about the French minimum salary so pretty likely.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An internship means... Apr 15, 2011

As far as I am aware, an internship means that you work to practice what you are learning. We had a trainee last year (who by the way is now an employee) and we paid her approximately 40% of her current salary, which was what was expected by the framework agreement with her University.

I would say that, as a student, you cannot ask for the salary of a translator with a degree. I would very much take whatever they may offer, since the experience will itself bear a high value, or it s
... See more
As far as I am aware, an internship means that you work to practice what you are learning. We had a trainee last year (who by the way is now an employee) and we paid her approximately 40% of her current salary, which was what was expected by the framework agreement with her University.

I would say that, as a student, you cannot ask for the salary of a translator with a degree. I would very much take whatever they may offer, since the experience will itself bear a high value, or it should if the company really wants to teach you things.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internship translation 3 - 6 month (payment?)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »