Outsourcer claims PayPal problems
Thread poster: John Fossey

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:28
Member (2008)
French to English
Apr 25, 2011

An outsourcer in Spain claims that they made an email address typo in making a PayPal payment which is the reason why payment didn't reach me. Then they had to phone PayPal to have the money returned to their bank account so they can correct the payment. The money still hasn't been returned to their bank account so they say they can't make the payment yet.

Does this sound correct? Does PayPal operate that differently in Spain than in Canada? Here if I were to make an incorrect payment like this I would simply log in to PayPal, cancel the payment and reissue it, a process that takes minutes and doesn't require phoning anyone or money being returned to my bank account - it would just be credited to my PayPal balance.

[Edited at 2011-04-25 16:01 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

George Runde
Norway
Norwegian to English
+ ...
-- Apr 25, 2011

I got stiffed from a company in Malaga once, several hundred dollars. Paypal problems doesn't sound right at all...

imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It doesn't Apr 25, 2011

It doesn't sound correct to me. Things in Paypal work as you've described above.

[Edited at 2011-04-25 14:59 GMT]

Alistair Ian Spearing Ortiz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
I suspect bad faith here Apr 25, 2011

Hum... I suspect bad faith here. Even if they have genuinely made a mistake, it's not your problem, is it? They should make the payment again with the correct e-mail address, without waiting for PayPal to refund them.

If they have to wait for PayPal to give the money back that means they're probably financially strapped.

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Payment made Apr 25, 2011

Thanks for your replies.

I asked the outsourcer to send proof that they had actually made the payment a week ago as claimed by forwarding the confirming email from PayPal. I then received payment a few minutes later - no evidence that they had paid a week ago though. At least they paid!

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Fossey 1 - Agency 0 Apr 25, 2011

Good for you. Some agencies in Spain have a very bad reputation and engage in deplorable practices trying to delay payment (I was going to say "business practices" but it will not be an expression befitting of what they do).

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:28
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sad! Apr 25, 2011

John Fossey wrote:
At least they paid!

But will you work with them again? Unlikely, I would imagine. This sort of practice leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blue Board 'em Apr 25, 2011

Please John!

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
BB Apr 25, 2011

aceavila - Noni wrote:

Please John!

I will!

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
More than the absence of payment,... Apr 26, 2011

I find the attitude of the agency quite despisable as they apparently think that translators are naive enough to swallow every excuse hook, line and sinker.

By now agencies should know better! But hey, that's also a way for separating wheat from chaff...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outsourcer claims PayPal problems

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search