charging extra for a million mini files
Thread poster: Eileen Cartoon

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:29
Italian to English
Apr 27, 2011

I don't know if it is the same where you live, but here photo print shops charge €1 just to open the file and then whatever the cost of printing is.

when we have a probject with a gizillion short files, why can't we charge a supplement for this. After all it is so time consuming.

What are your ideas?

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Merge the files into one Apr 27, 2011

There are tools and macros designed to combine multiple files into one, and then separate them. Trados Studio 2009 has this built into it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
memoQ also does it Apr 28, 2011

With memoQ you can create a "view", i.e. the result of putting all files together. The good point is that you don't have to de-merge anything: when you edit text in the view, its file is updated automatically and thus allows you to make partial deliveries during the project with no fuss at all.

When you say "gizzillion", how many files and how many total words do you mean?

Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:29
Member (2010)
Greek to English
Talk to your client Apr 28, 2011

If the client is good, they will understand that it takes time to open a file, create an output file, keep a record of the work, invoice etc. If the files really are all 'mini', maybe you could suggest a flat fee per file rather than a rate per word.

I have a regular project which involves a large number of (usually) fairly small files. I get paid a generous 'basic fee' per file for anything up to a certain size, then impose a surcharge beyond that level. It means my equivalent hourly rate can often be astronomical (99% repetition of a previous file, so I get 20 EUR for changing a date and saving the file with a new name). It also means that invoicing is quick and easy for me, and the client only needs to look at files where I've imposed a surcharge (I keep the file names, fees and surcharges on a database which I send to the client on a weekly basis).

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:29
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Who says you can't? Apr 28, 2011

Eileen Cartoon wrote:
when we have a probject with a gizillion short files, why can't we charge a supplement for this. After all it is so time consuming.

I don't know why you can't set whatever rates and terms you see fit - you are a service provider and you clients must pay for both your time and your deliverable. Of course, your terms must be reasonable, so you can't ask for something extortionate and expect to be retained for the job - that's business!icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

charging extra for a million mini files

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search