rate for translation
Thread poster: Aono

Aono  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
English to Japanese
May 6, 2011

I received a job offer from an American translation company. They asked me to give them a competitive rate. I usually charge 20yen per word, which is 25 cents per word. I am wondering whether this rate is competitive or not.

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
English to French
+ ...
Easy May 6, 2011

If they accept it, then it is competitive.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 14:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
High May 6, 2011

It depends a little on the level of difficulty/specialization but it seems high to me, not what I would call competitive.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 23:51
Turkish to English
+ ...
High May 7, 2011

It is definitely much higher than what I charge. I would not really call it competitive, I would call it high. Are you sure you converted that correct?

LegalTranslatr2  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
rate for translation May 7, 2011

.25 per English word is about right for direct clients, but for agencies you will probably have to reduce that by around 30-45%.

Aono wrote:

I received a job offer from an American translation company. They asked me to give them a competitive rate. I usually charge 20yen per word, which is 25 cents per word. I am wondering whether this rate is competitive or not.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Depends... May 7, 2011

Since there is not enough information about the job, not even the specialization (technical? legal? medical? pharma? defense?), the type of service required (translation only? translation + edit? translation + edit + QA? etc), the format, deadline, etc., it is really hard to say anything.
For some circumstances it can be high, but for some, it may not be high at all.
I would not make a definite statement either way, even though I work in the same language pair (reverse direction).... See more
Since there is not enough information about the job, not even the specialization (technical? legal? medical? pharma? defense?), the type of service required (translation only? translation + edit? translation + edit + QA? etc), the format, deadline, etc., it is really hard to say anything.
For some circumstances it can be high, but for some, it may not be high at all.
I would not make a definite statement either way, even though I work in the same language pair (reverse direction).

Katalin

[Edited at 2011-05-07 14:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rate for translation

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search