Translation of bills
Thread poster: Francesca Martina

Francesca Martina  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:22
German to Italian
+ ...
May 11, 2011

Hi everybody,

It's the first time I translate a bill, it's a pdf file, not so many words, but a lot of numbers, not to mention the effort to copy all those charts in word...

My question is:

How do I count words? Shall I include numbers as well and charge the whole of it, or numbers should not be considered when charging?

I thank you all.

Francesca

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:22
German to English
Charge for numbers May 11, 2011

Unless you can copy numbers or otherwise export them into your translation, you should charge for numbers.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge by the hour May 11, 2011

I would charge an hourly rate for all the formatting and preparation work, which will be the lion's share of this job. I don't think charging for the translatable words alone makes sense.

Now, there are two things I want to ask you:
- Are you sure the customer wanted the exact same format as the PDF? Is it possible that they only wanted the words translated, and forget about the rest?

- For future tasks, you can always use an OCR software (like ABBYY FineReader or
... See more
I would charge an hourly rate for all the formatting and preparation work, which will be the lion's share of this job. I don't think charging for the translatable words alone makes sense.

Now, there are two things I want to ask you:
- Are you sure the customer wanted the exact same format as the PDF? Is it possible that they only wanted the words translated, and forget about the rest?

- For future tasks, you can always use an OCR software (like ABBYY FineReader or similar) to process the PDF file and obtain a Microsoft Word file containing a very similar format and which you can translate rather quickly. However, also in this case I would charge by the hour.

Good luck!
Collapse

Francesca Martina  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 11, 2011

Thank you for your advice, actually, I think I had no other choice rather than copying everything in word, since it was a long list.

However, I think your solution is very fair and I'll get that software you mentioned, it must be very helpful.

Ciao

Francesca

imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I've tried May 12, 2011

Francesca,

I've tried ABBY and didn't succeed with it.

I charge for numbers, since you have to change their notation in most of the cases. Also they require a lot of attention.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of bills

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search