How can I get payment?
Thread poster: Amandine (X)
Amandine (X)
Amandine (X)
Local time: 09:38
English to French
+ ...
Mar 30, 2004

I've posted a few days ago about the fact that I couldn't get paid for a big translation job I've done brcause the guy can get the money from his client. Most of you told me that legally talking he is not entitled to do that as I have nothing to do with the client itself.
So I've issued invoces, emailed, enter a rating on blueboard, threaten with legal action but still no effect.

Here are the last two emails of today:

Amindine,
What do you want to hear? I al
... See more
I've posted a few days ago about the fact that I couldn't get paid for a big translation job I've done brcause the guy can get the money from his client. Most of you told me that legally talking he is not entitled to do that as I have nothing to do with the client itself.
So I've issued invoces, emailed, enter a rating on blueboard, threaten with legal action but still no effect.

Here are the last two emails of today:

Amindine,
What do you want to hear? I already said that I try to get the client but for now without success.
I am not a company and do not have such funds to pay all the translators unless the client pays me.

Amandine,

For you it is not big money but not for me, especially when there are 3 other translators like this.

I am in the same situation with 2 or 3 clients who delay payment because their clients in their turn do not hurry to pay.
And I am waiting. If you want to take legal action as you said, you are free to do it but know that I am honest saying I have no money to pay you from my own. I myself go broke because of the non payment of this guy.
All I have is my flat where my sick mother and my wife lives with me here in X, X so go on and try to take it from me.

What should I do? I've given him til April 10th for payment, it looks unlikely it is going to happen... Should I just forget about it and just give up freelancing? I mean I spent a long time on this job. I' gutted not to be able to be paid. Or then should I contact a debt collector agency?

What do you reckon?
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:38
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It is your money. No excuse he can give is a good one. Mar 31, 2004

Sic a collection agency on the deadbeat. I don't give a rat's *ehem* about his sick wife and mother.

Thierry Lafaye (X)
Thierry Lafaye (X)
English to French
+ ...
It is sad for him but... Mar 31, 2004

I think you are right in your approach still. He can find all the (good) excuses in the world, he might be honest and in a very delicate situation. You can of course be understanding but he has the responsibility of paying his own bills for services he received from you. If you happen not to pay your own bills to the phone or the electricity company, they would not even care more than you did.

And he should then be the one starting off a legal action against his client not paying hi
... See more
I think you are right in your approach still. He can find all the (good) excuses in the world, he might be honest and in a very delicate situation. You can of course be understanding but he has the responsibility of paying his own bills for services he received from you. If you happen not to pay your own bills to the phone or the electricity company, they would not even care more than you did.

And he should then be the one starting off a legal action against his client not paying him so I honestly believe you can only be understanding to a certain point but he cannot get the people to follow him in the failure of his customer to pay I believe.

I really do hope that the situation will clear off soon for both your client and yourself.
Collapse

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:38
Portuguese to English
Be persistent Mar 31, 2004

Dear Amandine,

Collections and delinquent debt are part of freelancing. The more you take the emotion out of it and make it a systematic, scientific process, the better results you will get.

At least your outsourcer is responding. This is a general indication that you will probably get paid. Statistically the situation is much higher risk when the debtor does not respond to your inquiries.

Another fact about collections: the receivable may become more diffi
... See more
Dear Amandine,

Collections and delinquent debt are part of freelancing. The more you take the emotion out of it and make it a systematic, scientific process, the better results you will get.

At least your outsourcer is responding. This is a general indication that you will probably get paid. Statistically the situation is much higher risk when the debtor does not respond to your inquiries.

Another fact about collections: the receivable may become more difficult to collect the more delinquent it gets. Be persistent. Contact the debtor on a regular basis about the money owed. If you "stay on his radar" you are more likely to get results in the form of payment.

In following these basic concepts (plus a little bit of luck) I have never once been "burned" in all the late payments I have had to deal with.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck!

Todd
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Long time on this job?????????? Mar 31, 2004

Did it take a long time to finish and you didn't agree on some payments before complexion???? You must do this for long projectssssss.
Besides I don't want to be pesimistic but the part about his sick mother, the little flat and the wife does not sound good....
Good luck.
Jesus.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Job posting rights suspended Mar 31, 2004

Hi all,
In addition to posting a rating and comment on the Blue Board, Amandine also contacted the jobs moderators.

As we had a previous complaint about the same outsourcer, we have suspended that person's job posting rights.

Best regards, Ralf

Ramesh Madhavan
Ramesh Madhavan  Identity Verified

Local time: 12:08
English
+ ...
Payment Mar 31, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi all,
In addition to posting a rating and comment on the Blue Board, Amandine also contacted the jobs moderators.

As we had a previous complaint about the same outsourcer, we have suspended that person's job posting rights.

Best regards, Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Is it difficult to have a system by which 'OUR' portal ensures payment for honest jobs done? How about asking Job Posters for a Bank Account#? [for verification]. The verification costs may be bourne by the Translater! We need to introduce systems to be more professional - and that includes being PAID!

Having said my mind out, You ARE doing a good job and I am happy with your portal. If there is scope for improvement, LET's DO IT!

Ramesh

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Conceptual differences Mar 31, 2004

Hi Ramesh,
I feel there may be a few conceptual misunderstandings regarding the role of ProZ.com (and, by extension, of its moderators).

ProZ.com is a venue - a place where job posters and service providers meet. ProZ.com is not a party to the bilateral (or multilateral, as the case may be) commercial arrangements which may result from contacts established through the site. One very obvious consequence of this situation is that ProZ.com does not take any commissi
... See more
Hi Ramesh,
I feel there may be a few conceptual misunderstandings regarding the role of ProZ.com (and, by extension, of its moderators).

ProZ.com is a venue - a place where job posters and service providers meet. ProZ.com is not a party to the bilateral (or multilateral, as the case may be) commercial arrangements which may result from contacts established through the site. One very obvious consequence of this situation is that ProZ.com does not take any commission on jobs arranged through it.

Is it difficult to have a system by which 'OUR' portal ensures payment for honest jobs done?

Well, I firmly believe the Blue Board plays a major role, as does jobs vetting by moderators.

As far as the notion of our portal is concerned, have a look at the home page. We do all we can to make it your site, but not exclusively.

How about asking Job Posters for a Bank Account#? [for verification].

In which way would that be a benefit? Having a bank account number proves as much (or rather, as little) as having a credit card.

What we are working on is developing a structure for verifying the identity of outsourcers.

Thanks for your kind comments on our work.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Jutta Lage-Peters
Jutta Lage-Peters
Local time: 02:38
English to German
+ ...
Bad memories Mar 31, 2004

Amandine, this happened to me a few years ago. We had set up regular monthly payments as this was the ONLY translation job I was working on (it was huge and I could not take on other work). So I relied on their promises and it worked for 3 months and then went downhill. They critizised my work, then stated I did not deliver wht they wanted (all excuses of course, even though I'm open to critizism...hm). I contacted them every week and settled for partial payments which was a long process. For th... See more
Amandine, this happened to me a few years ago. We had set up regular monthly payments as this was the ONLY translation job I was working on (it was huge and I could not take on other work). So I relied on their promises and it worked for 3 months and then went downhill. They critizised my work, then stated I did not deliver wht they wanted (all excuses of course, even though I'm open to critizism...hm). I contacted them every week and settled for partial payments which was a long process. For the balance of 1800 Dollars I was supposed to go to court but they decided to claim BR, changed their company name and reopened (and told me about it!) I would stay on the ball, get at least partial payments. It sounds that your client is willing to pay as soon as he gets money himself....but I would still push for even partial payments (depending on the amount he owes).Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Probably its a waste of time Apr 3, 2004

This outsourcer seems to belong to a certain group called nonpayers or worse...
Sorry to say that but your possibilities are limited. Always when taking the first job from a new client one has to be prepared to encounter problems. The only one can do when let down is make the case public via the mailing lists about paying practices, so that others are warned.

Judith Lang
Judith Lang  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Legal Action! Apr 5, 2004

Dear Amandine,

You take legal action (e.g. trough a collection agency) right away. I was once in the same situation. After months I lost my patience and took legal action. A few weeks later I got the total amount of the invoice, plus the agency had to pay for all additional costs.

Good luck!
Regards,
Judith

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I get payment?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »