Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What do you do when.....(your outsourcer doesn't pay?)
Thread poster: Ramey Rieger

Ramey Rieger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:29
Member (2010)
German to English
May 19, 2011

your outsourcer doesn't pay? I received a project from a PROZ.com member who seems to have disappeared. There was no problem on my side of the deal and the project was completed previous to the completion date. Well, that was in early April, payment being listed as 2 weeks after completion, and there's no sign of payment coming.
I don't want to whine (well, I really DO want to), or rant (Oh yes!), but would like to know if I should scratch this up to experience or if someone out there has an idea how I can collar the _______!

Furious and helpless,
Ramey

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A Blueboard immediately May 19, 2011

Add a Blueboard entry immediately with the information you have.

Now, what information do you have?

- Do you have a purchase order for this job, stating full name, address, telephone, VAT number, etc.?

- Have you ever talked with this person over the phone?

- Have you ever verified the truthness in the contact details given by this person?

Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I have the invoice May 19, 2011

which may not be much. I never spoke to her on the phone, the entire project was transferred over PROZ.com. I have an email address, and that's about it. I took it on trust. Silly babe in the woods, I suppose.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please submit a support request on this case. Thank you

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So you worked for?? May 19, 2011

You worked for an email address, with no other details? No address, no phone number, no VAT number, no PO? I'm affraid your invoice is worth nothing.

My advice is that you learn from the experience and confirm the identity of your customers from now on. There is hardly anything you can do now. Too late!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Original posting has been removed.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:29
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A few tips May 19, 2011

Search the directory for the last name, as first names can be spelled in various ways, and people sometimes use nicknames, too. If you find her profile, you can try contacting her through that.
Be careful though, as the person contacted you may be a scammer, using a false identity (picked a name from ProZ and pretended to be that person) - there were reports about such scams in the past. So the profile you find may not be the person's you actually dealt with.
You could also contact ProZ support - I am sure there is an archive of deleted profiles (if her profile is really deleted), and if you have an email that used to work, they may be able to identify her.

In any case, please create a Blue Board entry. The outsourcer does not have to be a ProZ member, or even registered user in order to put him/her on the BB. You can enter all the information yourself.

Thanks
Katalin

Edit: I just saw Samuel's post with the link to the discussion about a scam using the same name. That's it then.

[Edited at 2011-05-19 06:42 GMT]

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
German to Greek
+ ...
Maybe... May 19, 2011

Do you know, or is there a way to find out, who the end-client is?
The end-client knows the identity of this person.

Anna

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Would not do it May 19, 2011

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm wrote:

I don't think this is the right approach. So you do a translation without some minimum precautions (like getting a PO, getting a payment in advance with a new customer, ask for contact details and verify them with your own resources, etc. etc.), and the person who ends up molested is the end customer? I don't think this is a good approach.

The poster should have confirmed the basic things before starting a translation for an unknown person.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Why? May 19, 2011

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm wrote:

Anna

Why should this be the case?

If one is bold enough to cheat translators, then why not end clients? I mean one can live with a fake ID for months.

The only thing to do is to inform the end client (if and when known) that they are dealing with a scam artist. Maybe then the end client could reconsider paying the scammer.

Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
End client May 19, 2011

Well, I DID mail the end client, who is a doctor and has a Web site. Well, that mail has also returned - failed delivery.
Yes, I was cheated due to my own ignorance, and I am aware that I will mostly like have to add this to my list of experiences not to repeat.
I do believe the end client has a right to know that his/her work may have been translated without her/his knowledge. I do not, (yet) hold him responsible and have said as much, but only seek assistance in finding the outsourcer.
Still, I will continue to search until I grow weary and reconcile myself to my fate.
Thank-you for all your kind assistance, I'll keep you posted. It would interest me to know if there have been others who have shared the same fate over this site?
Be well!

United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, there were others May 19, 2011

Ramey Rieger wrote:
It would interest me to know if there have been others who have shared the same fate over this site?
Be well!

Samuel already posted this link before, but here it is again.
"A person calling herself "Jaana Petersen" then gave me the job, and I am really upset, because I did the job, and sent it back, got a confirmation."
Read the entire post here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/195871-someone_is_posing_as_me-page2.html#1736281

United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The end client info was probably also fabricated by the scammer May 19, 2011

Ramey Rieger wrote:

Well, I DID mail the end client, who is a doctor and has a Web site. Well, that mail has also returned - failed delivery.

Not a surprise, given the circumstances.
The end client was probably fabricated, too, your work likely went for somebody else.
Katalin

Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Katalin May 19, 2011

Interesting enough, the end client, has many Google hits. I even have a telephone number, which no one answers - both mobile and stationary. The mail I wrote came back.
JThe outsourcer was VERIFIED by PROZ.com, which has really gotten me worried. I refuse to let this rest and will continue to search for end client. Is it really possible that someone with such an honourable name and profession............????
what's the world coming to?
It would interest me to know if what you translated was a power point presentation on mental health and unemployment? If all three of us have done the same translation, how do we alert other trusting people? Is this really the work of the end client?
I feel like a character in a soap opera!
I must be off, but I'll keep you posted!

Be well,
Ramey

[Edited at 2011-07-24 14:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-24 14:45 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Verified? May 19, 2011

Ramey Rieger wrote:
[Name removed] was VERIFIED by PROZ.com, which has really gotten me worried.

[I wonder w]hat is (or was) [name removed]'s ProZ.com ID? You should be able to find this information on the e-mails between the two of you. I can't find him/her with a directory search.

[Edited at 2011-07-25 17:30 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you do when.....(your outsourcer doesn't pay?)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search