Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Would you accept such payment conditions?
Thread poster: Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:32
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe because SEPA takes only 3 days. May 19, 2011

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
"on or around 30 days"... your check will be in the mail May 19, 2011

There are some agencies that will struggle to cling to the money for a few more hours, if they can. They'll pay you within 30 working days, and won't consider Sat/Sun as such, though they boast about being avilable to their clients 24/7.

It seems that they'll mail you the check on the very 30th day, from some remote post office, after the mail there has been taken to the central distribution center, so it'll get postmarked pronto, but
... See more
There are some agencies that will struggle to cling to the money for a few more hours, if they can. They'll pay you within 30 working days, and won't consider Sat/Sun as such, though they boast about being avilable to their clients 24/7.

It seems that they'll mail you the check on the very 30th day, from some remote post office, after the mail there has been taken to the central distribution center, so it'll get postmarked pronto, but will only go places on the next day. Of course they'll use the slowest service available, to keep those funds in their account as long as possible.

If you complain to such an agency about your invoice being already two weeks past overdue, they'll say they mailed you a check on the very day it became due, and that they can't be accountable for the slow postal services in neither of the two countries involved.

On the other extreme, there are friendly, usually smaller, agencies where the owner-PM-accountant might tell you they've just received payment from a much larger job, not yours, however they'll take the chance to pay you immediately, a few weeks earlier than promised, just to make you happy and available next time they need you.

The "around 30 days" is a joke, especially if you give or take a few months.

[Edited at 2011-05-19 17:19 GMT]
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lucky them... May 19, 2011

...we don't deliver our translations on or around xy days.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
General statement? May 19, 2011

Was this meant specifically for you or just a general statement about their payment methods? The fact that they mention so many options seems to indicate that they can make different arrangements depending on what the translator wants. Just tell them that you can't accept cheques and what your preferred payment method is and see what they say.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was a general statement, Tina. May 19, 2011

I personally prefer bank transfer (but not for amounts higher than 300 EUR or whatever currency).

They could 'use' every translator for smaller orders (worth up to 299 EUR) and wait for a couple of months or even longer before they pay him/her according to this rule once the translator has agreed on payment by bank transfer.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
These seem to me rather flexible conditions... May 19, 2011

...which is a good thing.
Unless you have something serious against using PayPal, why not opt for that?
Fees would be somewhere around 4%, but for amounts over $100 or so, you can talk to the client and ask them to use e-checks with PayPal, that only cost a fixed $5.00.
(Fees in Euros may be slightly different, but check with PayPal.)

Katalin

[Edited at 2011-05-20 07:51 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:32
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, just offering you a choice, it seems to me. May 19, 2011

All companies used to pay by cheque at one time. Few do now, but I still receive a cheque occasionally. Two regular customers have only gone from cheque to bank transfer within the past couple of years.
In all my years of freelance work (since 1965), I only ever received one dud cheque.

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 11:32
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
cashing costs and time??? Jun 3, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:

All companies used to pay by cheque at one time. Few do now, but I still receive a cheque occasionally. Two regular customers have only gone from cheque to bank transfer within the past couple of years.
In all my years of freelance work (since 1965), I only ever received one dud cheque.

Dear Jack,

What is the cost to cash a cheque and how much time does it take in the UK?
In my case, cashing a check (at any bank of my country) costs around 30 USD (just for the service), and it takes around 4-6 weeks till I get the money. And I have to go to the bank at least two times (1 - to file a request to cash, 2 - to get the money)...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you accept such payment conditions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »