https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/199342-would_you_accept_such_payment_conditions.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Would you accept such payment conditions?
Thread poster: Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:15
English to German
+ ...
May 19, 2011

"Invoices are paid by cheque, bank transfer (amounts higher than £300, €300 or $300 only), Paypal or Moneybookers on or around 30 days of xy’s receipt of your invoice."

I have never received payment by cheque. Do you have to pay fees for it, and how long does it take?

The whole thing does not look too attractive to me up to now.

Just interested in your opinions.

Thanks,
Gudrun

[Bearbeitet am 2011-05
... See more
"Invoices are paid by cheque, bank transfer (amounts higher than £300, €300 or $300 only), Paypal or Moneybookers on or around 30 days of xy’s receipt of your invoice."

I have never received payment by cheque. Do you have to pay fees for it, and how long does it take?

Thanks,
Gudrun

[Bearbeitet am 2011-05-19 12:13 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I only accept payments May 19, 2011

by bank transfer. No cheques, no Moneybookers, no Paypal. Some of my clients pay within 30 days of my invoice...

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 19, 2011

Teresa.
This is exactly what I did up to now.

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Bank transfer or PayPal May 19, 2011

...but no cheques. I used to accept these, but they're a pain to cash in. Sometimes it would take several months for the money to finally arrive in my bank account.
Won't do it nevermore.

I have nothing against PayPal though. Very useful for non-EU clients to prevent big heaps of my well-earned cash being eaten away by 'transferral costs' (read: CEO bonusses).

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan. May 19, 2011

Looks like an indirect delay of payment as you describe it.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Where from? May 19, 2011

I think it depends where the client is. If they are in Europe then it would be strange that their preferred method is cheque. On the other hand, I believe the cheque is a very common form of payment in America.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:15
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, I will- under certain conditions. May 19, 2011

No problem regarding cheque. My client sends the check via post office to my bank, and my bank deposits into my back account. It takes about a week. But this is an American client and the check is sent to an US bank account. Or my client in Argentina gives me a check in my hand and I go to the nearest bank and deposit it. It only takes 48 hours to clear the check and the time I need to go to my bank. But I never accept a check sent from US to Argentina, as they usually get lost.

Re
... See more
No problem regarding cheque. My client sends the check via post office to my bank, and my bank deposits into my back account. It takes about a week. But this is an American client and the check is sent to an US bank account. Or my client in Argentina gives me a check in my hand and I go to the nearest bank and deposit it. It only takes 48 hours to clear the check and the time I need to go to my bank. But I never accept a check sent from US to Argentina, as they usually get lost.

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is a London-based company. May 19, 2011

So why using cheques? My UK companies usually choose the bank transfer method.

Thank you for your opinions.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
What strikes me... May 19, 2011

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

Thanks,
Gudrun

What strikes me in these lines is that the outsourcer seems unable to stick to one payment method.

From my experience until now, the agency clients I work with since 2007 are more straightforward.

The money comes either by bank transfer (continental Europe) or by PayPal (Canada, USA and UK) while some French clients still insist on cheques.

But all in all, my clients don't distinguish between amounts due to determine what payment method they will use.

This lack of clarity would raise a red flag as far as I am concerned.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
UK cheques May 19, 2011

I live in France but have a UK bank account too. My UK bank charges me a lot of money to transfer money from the UK to France whether in Sterling or Euros. I don't know why and I'm having a running battle with them, but that's the way it is. Their minimum fee is £23 or £15 if you have an on-line arrangement, with a maximum of £40.

Mind you, I pay UK sterling cheques into my UK bank account - I can't imagine it would be quick or cheap to pay them into a foreign bank.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:15
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Probably not a US company May 19, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I think it depends where the client is. If they are in Europe then it would be strange that their preferred method is cheque. On the other hand, I believe the cheque is a very common form of payment in America.

If this an exact quote, the British spelling of 'cheque' would be odd usage for a US company.
Yes, checks are probably the most common form of payment in the US, and bank transfers are rarely used for routine transactions by individuals. Electronically issuing checks (to pay bills, etc.) via online banking systems (you don't physically write the check, but the direct the bank to issue it) is becoming more and more common, though, and some banks allow you to deposit checks by photographing them with your smartphone and using the bank's app to make the deposit. However, there is usually a piece of paper involved on at least one end.

I don't know why the US can't get with the rest of the world in making transfers fast and cheap; it's probably our frontier individualism and ingrained disdain for being forced by the government to do anything, such as to open a bank account just to be able to get money. After all, even someone who can't open a bank account (e.g., illegal immigrant, or one has written too many bad checks), can still have a check cashed by a currency exchange (for a hefty fee, of course).

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rudolf May 19, 2011

As already mentioned the company is UK-based.

Gudrun

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Cheques May 19, 2011

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

So why using cheques? My UK companies usually choose the bank transfer method.

Thank you for your opinions.

I have a few customers in the UK as well. They pay through MoneyBookers or PayPal, apart from one who pays by cheque. The reason is that if they make a bank transfer from UK to Italy it costs them 15-20 GBP. If they pay by cheque I am the one who pays bank expenses for cashing the cheque. And in addition it takes approximately 40 days from the moment I deposit the cheque to the moment the money is actually available on my account.
But apart from this he is a good customer...

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How about SEPA transfers? May 19, 2011

Costs you nothing, shouldn't take longer than 3 days...

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
SEPA May 19, 2011

SEPA is for payments in euros, so if you are based in the UK and have a GBP account, apparently you have to bear bank charges. This is what my customer claims and I have no reason to think they are not telling me the truth. In other words, if the SEPA transfer was free, why should they send cheques?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you accept such payment conditions?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »