Thread poster: Ata Arif

Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:12
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
May 24, 2011

A client send me a few words to translate within a big file, they only pay for the target words translated. They want a Witness Statement and Exhibit Label by post. I told the client the fee I receive for this job is less than the cost of printing and posting the paperwork, they said:
‘Sorry but it is part of the job’.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Part of someone else's job, perhaps? May 24, 2011

Ata Arif wrote:

A client send me a few words to translate within a big file, they only pay for the target words translated. They want a Witness Statement and Exhibit Label by post. I told the client the fee I receive for this job is less than the cost of printing and posting the paperwork, they said:

You sound as though you HAVE to do it. Is that really true? Can't a business choose which contracts to take up and which to leave to someone else? Don't you get to tell them how much YOU will charge THEM for the job?

I really think you need to think hard about your relationship with the CLIENT (not your boss, remember).

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:12
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Well, then why accept? May 24, 2011

Hello Ata,

why accept then? I wouldn't, Either I get what I consider fair or my expenses refunded or I say no, I am a freelancer for this, to be able to say no when I feel I am wasting my time instead of earning money from what I do for a living.

?

Giuliana

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:12
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What a fine company. May 24, 2011

You should have the file printed at a copy shop that also offers mail service and have it mailed by them to the customer via Cash on Delivery.

Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I forgot to mention May 24, 2011

I did not accept the job anyway but I just wanted to share it with you

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Who is the boss here? May 24, 2011

When I get a proyect offer from a client and they include a rate offer that I like, I'll accept if it suits me, but if the offer is less than what I want to charge, I simply send them back a quote in my reply. They're free to try to negotiate, of course, and I have on occasions modified my offer, but I am the one who sets the rates for my work, not the client.

In the end, the client can take it or leave it; I'm under no obligation to accept their offer, and neither are you.
... See more
When I get a proyect offer from a client and they include a rate offer that I like, I'll accept if it suits me, but if the offer is less than what I want to charge, I simply send them back a quote in my reply. They're free to try to negotiate, of course, and I have on occasions modified my offer, but I am the one who sets the rates for my work, not the client.

In the end, the client can take it or leave it; I'm under no obligation to accept their offer, and neither are you.

The next time you call a plumber to fix your toilet and you offer him less than it costs him to go to your house and fix it and then insist that "it is part of the job", watch how fast he hangs up on you...

YOU are your boss, not your client.

Best regards,

Liz
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 00:12
Turkish to English
+ ...
Cheap Labor May 24, 2011

Sorry but it is cheap labor.
You did the right thing.

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
:) May 24, 2011

Ata Arif wrote:

Quite funny, yeah. I hope it is not yet too late to say goodbye to them?

Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 00:12
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Me May 25, 2011

I usually inform clients, when they ask for printing and posting, that these services cost extra and state a fee for these. If they agree to pay the fee ok, if not ... well good luck with another translator.

Siobhan Schoonhoff-Reilly  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Options May 25, 2011

The way I see it, there are 3 options in a case like this:

1) Inform the customer that they will have to pay the printing an postage costs. If they are not willing to do this, then don't take the job on.

2) Charge the customer for the actual work, pay the printing & postage costs yourself, and post these in your bookkeeping under 'expenses' (tax deductible, depending on where you live).

3) Turn down the job right from the start.

PS: I al
... See more
The way I see it, there are 3 options in a case like this:

1) Inform the customer that they will have to pay the printing an postage costs. If they are not willing to do this, then don't take the job on.

2) Charge the customer for the actual work, pay the printing & postage costs yourself, and post these in your bookkeeping under 'expenses' (tax deductible, depending on where you live).

3) Turn down the job right from the start.

PS: I also like Nicole's suggestion.

[Edited at 2011-05-25 10:08 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
tax deductible doesn't mean it doesn't cost you anything May 25, 2011

Siobhan Schoonhoff-Reilly wrote:

[Edited at 2011-05-25 10:08 GMT]

I'm not an accountant, but if I'm not mistaken, this is a common misconception. The fact that something is tax deductible doesn't mean that it doesn't cost you anything.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The job costs more than I get from it

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search