Same translation... should I charge for this?
Thread poster: Nema
Nema  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2004

I have recently been working with a client who asked me to translate quite a big amount of text for him, but “step by step”: he sends me some pages and once I finish and return the work by email I get the next 4 pages and so on. Last time I received 5 pages and realized that there were 2 pages included that I had already done (and delivered) before. I told the client on the phone and by email, asked him if it was a mistake or if he wanted me to do the translation “again”. Now I have a doubt...should I charge for these words (it is exactly the same and all I have to do is “cut and paste”)? I would appreciate any advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Pamela Brizzola  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
You should tell him Apr 5, 2004

I definetely think you should tell him. I'm sure he will appreciate your honesty. If you don't tell him and then he finds out himself, he will think that you are taking advantage of him.
However, check whether the text is 100% the same as the previous one and that numbers/figures/names are exactly the same.
If even a few words change, you can apply a rate for proofreading (in this case I think an hourly rate).
Good luck

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Did you get a reply from the client? Apr 5, 2004

Nema wrote:
I told the client on the phone and by email, asked him if it was a mistake or if he wanted me to do the translation “again”.

What did the client answer?

Nema  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The client said yes Apr 5, 2004

Yes, I told the client and the reply was "yes, please include the repeated translation". I have read the source text and my translation several times and it is exactly the same.I also checked the phone numbers that appear. Thanks to all.

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
If the client said yes... Apr 5, 2004

Nema wrote:
Yes, I told the client and the reply was "yes, please include the repeated translation".

If this is the case, then the client must be willing to pay for it again. Is the clinet an agency? If so, he/she must be charging his/her client for the translation to be done, so you have the same right to ask for your normal fee. However, it would be nice to know if the agency is giving a discount, then you might consider giving a discount on the previously translated text, proofreading rate (half price). What I don't understand is why don't you have a work order before you go ahead and translate? This should all be clearly stated on the work order: rates and amount of text to be translated, type of document to be translated, delivery date, terms of payment.
You say that you have been working for the person before, but have you already been paid for some of the work?

[Edited at 2004-04-05 21:48]

Pamela Brizzola  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Only including text? Apr 6, 2004

He told you to include the new text, so I think he means that you just copy that part and paste it into the new one.
So, you might charge him some reviewing/DTP kind of work
Pam

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:16
French to English
Charge by the hour Apr 6, 2004

In cases like this, I always charge by the hour. I find it a fair solution since you're verifying that the content is the same and copying/pasting the translated text.

Erika

Nema  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreement Apr 6, 2004

Finally, we reached an agreement (to charge a fee for reviewing the text and posting it again).
The client always pays immediately after receiving each translation, I didn't have problems up to now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same translation... should I charge for this?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search