Moneybookers and Syria: embargo
Thread poster: Laurie Price

Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2011

Dear fellow linguists, I received an email from a client stating that Moneybookers has terminated their account, and indeed all accounts originating from Syria.

Not only is this is unjust and simply wrong, I would like to propose/suggest that registered users of Moneybookers use the contact form to lodge a complaint. As linguists, people dealing with language in cross-cultural and economic contexts, this is something we can do -- use our writing skills to protest against this embarg
... See more
Dear fellow linguists, I received an email from a client stating that Moneybookers has terminated their account, and indeed all accounts originating from Syria.

Not only is this is unjust and simply wrong, I would like to propose/suggest that registered users of Moneybookers use the contact form to lodge a complaint. As linguists, people dealing with language in cross-cultural and economic contexts, this is something we can do -- use our writing skills to protest against this embargo.

I had to re-register with Moneybookers in order to have access to the contact email form -- after having had my Moneybookers account emptied a few years ago and thereby shut down with no resolution (I posted something on one of the forums about this several years ago).

I'm spitting angry about this current action against my client. But I've re-registered because beyond the fact of having been robbed of payments made to me for work executed and delivered, a client, by virtue of being Syrian, is being blocked from doing business outside of Syria -- paying contractors as well as receiving payments from people or entities (to quote the language of Moneybookers) outside of Syria.

This is what my client wrote to me:

Please read the following. I, your fellow human, would appreciate any support you can spare to help lifting such unjust sanctions against humanity.

This is the note my client refers to that he received from Moneybookers:

We hereby give notice to terminate your Moneybookers Account.
Unfortunately, we can no longer provide payment services to persons or
entities resident in Syria.

This termination becomes effective four weeks after the date of this
email.

On this date we will close your Account. You will no longer be able to
send or receive money. (etc.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who agrees with my position and is willing to send a note to Moneybookers in protest.
Collapse

Assem Mazloum  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:39
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
sanctions constitute a crime against humanity Jun 14, 2011

Dear Laurie,
Thank you very much,

To all my fellow T&I's, sanctions constitute a crime against humanity, hope you find time to read the following report:

http://www.i-p-o.org/sanct.htm

Regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moneybookers and Syria: embargo

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search