Marianne Eden  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:11
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jun 14, 2011

Hi all,''How much can I charge for an on-site assignment which involves
checking correct translation (buttons, menus etc) of a software?
Assignment abroad 3-5 days. They want to know a price..
I ahve never done this before.

Thanks!

Marianne

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
Swedish to English
+ ...
Time + travel Jun 14, 2011

On a similar job, I charged by the hour plus travel plus subsistence (food etc). Those are the normal arrangements for consultants (which is what you are in this case). Travel and subsistence can be set against income tax.

Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:11
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Plus time you spent on the way Jun 14, 2011

Hi Marianne,

I just completely agree with Peter.

Just like 3 weeks ago I did something quite similar.

The company paid my travel expenses (I went by train), the hotel and I ate at the company's restaurant for free.

However I invoiced them a little charge for the time I spent travelling, as during this time I could have been doing some marketing and winning new clients; or I could have accept new jobs; or whatsoever... Nobody complained about it
... See more
Hi Marianne,

I just completely agree with Peter.

Just like 3 weeks ago I did something quite similar.

The company paid my travel expenses (I went by train), the hotel and I ate at the company's restaurant for free.

However I invoiced them a little charge for the time I spent travelling, as during this time I could have been doing some marketing and winning new clients; or I could have accept new jobs; or whatsoever... Nobody complained about it and they accepted it (However it was more or less a "nominal" fee, as it was really little).

And in my own case, I invoiced by worked hours.

Good luck!
Helena
Collapse

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:11
French to English
+ ...
Hourly fee Jun 14, 2011

Hi Marianne,

When I've done this in the past, I was basically paid an hourly rate which included my travelling time at my standard rate. They also put me up in a hotel and paid for meals (either in the site canteen or in the hotel restaurant) and paid mileage (or they would have paid my train fare had I chosen to do that). I personally wouldn't be happy to be paid less for travelling time as you could be sitting comfortably in your own office working rather than travelling. If you d
... See more
Hi Marianne,

When I've done this in the past, I was basically paid an hourly rate which included my travelling time at my standard rate. They also put me up in a hotel and paid for meals (either in the site canteen or in the hotel restaurant) and paid mileage (or they would have paid my train fare had I chosen to do that). I personally wouldn't be happy to be paid less for travelling time as you could be sitting comfortably in your own office working rather than travelling. If you do manage to do some work on your chosen means of transport, that's up to you!

All the best,

Claire
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On-site assignment

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search