How should I calculate my rates for transcription into target language?
Thread poster: Patricia Ramos

Patricia Ramos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2011

I have been asked for my rate per audio hour for transcription of an audio tape that is in Spanish, but they just want the English transcript. How is this calculated?

Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:18
Italian to English
This is 2 separate jobs Jun 16, 2011

I assume that you would transcribe the Spanish first and then translate it into English, right? That's what I do with these kinds of jobs. I would charge by the hour for the transcription, and then by the word for the translation.

Kahli Bree Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 18:18
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
10 minutes for 1 minute of audio Jun 16, 2011

Patricia Ramos wrote:

I have been asked for my rate per audio hour for transcription of an audio tape that is in Spanish, but they just want the English transcript. How is this calculated?

Hi Patricia,

I have done a couple of these jobs and in each case it took me about 10 minutes to transcribe 1 minute of audio directly into the target language.

So I'd recommend you charge by the hour and use 10 minutes for 1 minute of audio as the basis for your calculations. But of course, that's just my personal experience and you may be faster or slower than me.

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2011-06-16 10:23 GMT]

Luximar Arenas Petty  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is a translation job. Jun 16, 2011

Well, I would say that this is not a transcription job. If they only want the audio in English then this is a translation job, simple as that. It would be better for you to translate into English directly from the audio in order to avoid re-work. You can charge your translation rate. That’s what I have been doing. This kind of job is very common lately.

If you want more details you can contact me offline.

Regards,

Luximar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I calculate my rates for transcription into target language?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search