Thread poster: flaviofbg

flaviofbg
Spain
Local time: 16:10
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Apr 7, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I need to make a payment to a translator in the USA - we both have PayPal, and I live in Spain. I am Premier and Verified.

She does not take credit cards payment (standard user, not premium), so I need the money in my balance in order to send them to her.

Apparently, I cannot "upload" funds anymore! I can't find anything relevant in the FAQs.

When I try to add funds, I get this message:

Add Funds is Not Available

PayPal does not currently offer the ability to add funds from your bank account. You may, however, use other funding sources to make a PayPal payment, including credit cards and your PayPal account balance.

Is this a Spain-related problem? I don't want to use WesternUnion, and she does not use Moneybookers.

Do I have no other chances?

Thanks for your advice,
Flavio

Direct link Reply with quote

Carla Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just use your credit card Apr 7, 2004

to make a PayPal payment. This doesn't mean that the translator gets paid by credit card. The amount you pay will just be added to her PayPal account balance and then she can withdraw whatever she wants to her bank account or pay somebody else with it.

Ciao,
Carla

flaviofbg
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using a credit card is not possible in this case Apr 7, 2004

This doesn't mean that the translator gets paid by credit card.

Dear Carla,

Paypal will force her to upgrade to Premium or Business in order to allow her to accept payments from Credit Cards. She only has a "Personal" account.

Flavio

Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe there's something I don't understand Apr 7, 2004

but would't it be possible to first use your credit card to add the amount you owe her to your PayPal account and then pay her from your PayPal balance?

By the way, it is possible to add funds from a Dutch bank account...

Best,
Carla

Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
OK, I finally got it Apr 7, 2004

In Spain you simply can't add funds to your PayPal balance. This is only possible if you live in Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland or Canada.

The only solution I see would be to ask one of your clients to pay you through PayPal so that you have enough money on your account to pay the translator. Or she could go premium of course...

Best,
Carla

flaviofbg
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:( Apr 7, 2004

Dear Carla,

but would't it be possible to first use your credit card to add the amount you owe her to your PayPal account and then pay her from your PayPal balance?

That is what I am used to, and have always done - that's why I am so surprised that I cannot add funds anyhow now!

This is quite a mistery.

Flavio

flaviofbg
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see... Apr 7, 2004

Dear Carla,

thanks for the detail. Now I understand.

Isn't that unfair?

Flavio

Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Very Apr 7, 2004

unfair! ;-(

Buona Pasqua Flavio!

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Adding funds by credit card is available though Apr 8, 2004

She does not take credit cards payment (standard user, not premium), so I need the money in my balance in order to send them to her.

I thought the difference between a standard and a premium user was that a premium user could add to his balance by credit card. Nothing to do with the receiving side as to credit card payment.

Add Funds is Not Available

PayPal does not currently offer the ability to add funds from your bank account. You may, however, use other funding sources to make a PayPal payment, including credit cards and your PayPal account balance.

If I read this right, your bank account is in Spain linked to your pay pal account for uploading only through your credit card.

So - you should be able to upload through your credit card!

I live in Spain, am a premium user and have carried out payments - but the last payment was before it moved to Europe.

flaviofbg
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not available to me, or I am missing the right link? Apr 8, 2004

I thought the difference between a standard and a premium user was that a premium user could add to his balance by credit card. Nothing to do with the receiving side as to credit card payment.

I don't know about the first option, but as for the receiving side, FAQs are quite clear:

Standard User cannot receive credit card payments
Premium User can receive payments from a credit card

So - you should be able to upload through your credit card!

That's what I have always done, but I am afraid this is not possible anymore after the Europe move of PayPal...

Flavio

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
MoneyGram?? Apr 8, 2004

Hi Flavio,

>Is this a Spain-related problem? I don't >want to use WesternUnion, and she does not >use Moneybookers.

I can remember of wwww.MoneyGram.www (but you'd have to go to a dealer), and www.ikobo.com . . .

Good luck,

Jose B. Ruivo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU PayPal: Adding funds not available!

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search