United Kingdom
Local time: 00:33
French to English
+ ...
Jul 5, 2011

Hello all

Hope you're well and busy.

I'm in need of some advice.

I have a specific payment system for translators. They invoice me on the 15th and the 30th/31st of the month (so bi-monthly to reduce the wait for payments), and then the payment is sent out according to the terms of the PO issued with the job. I work this way to avoid lots of little invoices coming out, and to reduce my translators PayPal fees (I'd rather send them one big payment than numerous smaller ones). This works well for me, except that a few translators have not been invoicing me, and then sending me requests for money. They seem to be under the impression that the PO acts as THEIR invoice, although the payment terms quite clearly stated in my terms and conditions (which all translators have to sign and send back to me when the first start with me), and also on the bottom of the PO (i.e. Payment terms are 30 days from receipt of invoice).

I'm struggling with the rudeness of certain translators, as everything is crystal clear and it is not my job to remind people to invoice me. When I have received payment requests, I have informed them that an invoice has not been received, to which they generally send the invoice, but then expect the payment to automatically be made! Am I the only person who sees this as ridiculous?

Worst thing is that I nearly always pay early as I pay as soon as I get paid, before the money burns a hole in my pocket (yes, I like shiny things!)...

Thanks in advance for comments/advice.

Stéph

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: User's request - http://www.proz.com/ticket/265676
Stéphanie Denton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clear to me too Jul 5, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

If you have a contract you sign with your translators, you definitely want to add this condition to the contract.

To me, it is as clear as water that in Europe you cannot pay anyone without a proper invoice.

I have added that, it's been there from the start. Clearly, translators will just sign without reading. They could be signing their lives away for all they know!

Yes, clear to me too. However, not everyone seems to have grasped this concept yet!

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
These are experienced freelancers? Jul 5, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:
a few translators have not been invoicing me, and then sending me requests for money. They seem to be under the impression that the PO acts as THEIR invoice, although the payment terms quite clearly stated in my terms and conditions (which all translators have to sign and send back to me when the first start with me), and also on the bottom of the PO (i.e. Payment terms are 30 days from receipt of invoice).

Surely, every experienced freelancer must know that you need to invoice your client. I can imagine this sort of thing happening with the very first job (I cringe when I see the very first invoice I sent - it probably complied with legal requirements but a professional-looking document it was not!). But surely not after that.

To be fair, if you are working with newcomers to freelancing, you could actually remind them to send the invoices. I had a good client in the early days who not only reminded me but also corrected one invoice, upwards!

Certainly gets a partnership off to a good start.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not newcomers Jul 5, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

To be fair, if you are working with newcomers to freelancing, you could actually remind them to send the invoices. I had a good client in the early days who not only reminded me but also corrected one invoice, upwards!

Certainly gets a partnership off to a good start.

The translators in question are not newcomers. I'm happy to help out newcomers, after all, as you said: we've all been there! And I agree, my best two translators did there very first jobs with me, and we have a great working relationship, plus some witty banter to top it off!

However, I can't spend my life chasing after translators as they've not invoiced me. I translate myself, so in between running my "agency" and translating, sending my own invoices, chasing up late payments, etc., I barely get time to eat, let alone chase around after grown-ups. I have an 18-month old who is more competent!

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:33
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Easy Jul 5, 2011

No invoice, no payment.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed... Jul 5, 2011

Michele Fauble wrote:

No invoice, no payment.

...but what to do about them being rude? And then sending the invoice (late) and expecting it to be paid straight away, which doesn't adhere to my terms?

Also, we have specific payment dates (either the 15th or the 30th/31st of the month), so that it's all done in one go, making administration easier. I can't just be expected to pay out on a "non-payment day".

What is wrong with people?

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Are they used to do it? Jul 5, 2011

I know many translators who usually serve either domestic clients or invoice-free agencies (those that use their own online invoicing processes). Quite often they have no clue on how to issue an international invoice.

I'd suggest you develop a "sample invoice", i.e. what info should be in one, and post it somewhere on your web site for them to download. Then include on your POs that payment as agreed relies on invoices being sent to you as timely as agreed. If they want you to do your part, they should be expected to do theirs.

The rude attitude would be something like "I am a translator, so I translate! I don't issue invoices." Your reply could be "I assign jobs and receive translations, however I can only pay invoices."

xxxValerie35
Local time: 01:33
German to English
Almost unbelievable Jul 5, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:
The translators in question are not newcomers.

And you have more than one experienced translator who doesn't know that he/she is supposed to send an invoice first?

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Playing devil's advocate slightly... Jul 6, 2011

Fundamentally, if you've made it clear to people that they need to provide an invoice and that the PO isn't an invoice (maybe "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE" in big letters at the top may help), then you're in the right as far as I can see.

Just playing devil's advocate for a second, the only thing I'd point out is that if you have an automated system set up for payments which it sounds like you do, then there are precedents for collaborators just having a "rolling agreement" with a company to pay whataver is owed to them periodically with no actual invoices being generated. Companies like Google and Amazon that are paying commissions to large numbers of collaborators work in this way: they just automatically pay out on a monthly basis whatever is owed, without invoices. In fact, I don't think they even have a mechanism to send them invoices even if you wanted to.

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Think Jul 6, 2011

Valerie35 wrote:

Stéphanie Denton wrote:
The translators in question are not newcomers.

And you have more than one experienced translator who doesn't know that he/she is supposed to send an invoice first?

Stéphanie,

By your own admission, your translators, i. e. "professionals" whom YOU have contacted, tested and finally selected to work with you are:

A. Unable to read and/or understand your basic terms & conditions.

B. Totally ignorant of common business practices. (!).

C. Rude.

D. Basically a complete waste of space/time.

What are you waiting for?

Dump them.
And if you like, as you have done, vent your frustration here.

But then ask yourself why you chose people who are evidently incompetent in the first place.

Because you chose them, not t'other way round.....

Andy.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: User's request - http://www.proz.com/ticket/265676

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
PayPal payment request Jul 6, 2011

Since you pay by PayPal, why not ask them to send an electronic request for payment?

In any case, a translator who doesn't know to issue an invoice is more likely to have doubtful quality.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:33
English to German
+ ...
Quick question Jul 6, 2011

You said bi-monthly.

Is that what you stated in your POs?

Bi-monthly means "every 2 months", not twice a month. A tiny misunderstanding, perhaps? ...

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Italian to English
Definition of bimonthly Jul 6, 2011

http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/bimonthly

"produced or happening every two months or twice each month"

ambiguous maybe, but not incorrect.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators not sending invoices then requesting money

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search