Thread poster: Cristina Fernández

Cristina Fernández  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:11
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 6, 2011

I know I should have asked the client directly before I commited, but I didn´t.

I´ve been working on a large translation project, and last week I completed it, delivered it and sent them the invoice. Two days later, they asked me to change 2-3 sentences because the client had made a few very small changes to the source text. I did it assuming they would´t pay for those small changes.
Today I´ve received an e mail in which they say that the client needs one extra document translated for the same project, the document contains more than 2000 words, and I accepted, with the convinction that they would pay the same rate (it belongs to the same project). When I accepted, I asked them for a confirmation, and they answered "go ahead". They haven´t sent me a PO fot this document, and now I´ve just read in their terms and conditions that "the supplier shall not commence any work without a Purchase Order", and now I´m wondering if this document is considered part ot that project and they won´t pay for those 2000 extra words.
The agency has a very good reputation, according to the BB, but I know I should have asked them how they proceed with extra translations.

Do you think I should ask them before I complete the translation, or should I complete the translation and then send the invoice as I proceeded when I finished the project? The problem is that the invoice must include the PO number.

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 22:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ask them if you need Jul 6, 2011

a different PO number to invoice the additional words...

Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 00:11
English to Swedish
+ ...
Has happened but has never been a problem Jul 6, 2011

I have several clients who don’t always give purchase orders before the completion of job. To me it seems that they issue them when they have time for it, or after you ask them to. I have never had any problems due to this though. In fact the only client I have who issue them before the completion of the job has a system where this is done more or less automatically.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:11
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"for the same project" Jul 6, 2011

They acknowledged the new document to be part of the same project, right?
So, in all likelihood, you can invoice the additional work under the same PO number, but you should ask, the way Teresa suggested.
Katalin

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:11
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Ask Jul 6, 2011

If they really are such a good agency, they will give you a clear answer and a PO if necessary. If not ... well, at least you'll know

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:11
English to Russian
+ ...
in case of doubt Jul 6, 2011

why not to use a template:

Dear Sirs,

for good order sake please reconfirm that:

a / ..... (the additional text to be added to the order as per PO NO...
b/ ..... ( the rate of usd / euro VVVV for the translation of the additional text to apply)

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

brgds

++++

It always helps to clarify situation

[Edited at 2011-07-06 22:42 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:11
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask! Jul 7, 2011

One way of putting it is: "Just for my records, for the additional file, do you expect to send a separate PO or will you edit the previous PO to add this wordcount?"

Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
German to English
If you have to ask us, you definitely have to ask them Jul 7, 2011

Tomás' suggestion is a good one, another possibility is something like:
Is it safe to assume that the same rate and terms apply for this document as for the previous documents in this project? I would appreciate it if you could confirm this, thanks so much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Additional texts

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search