Assistance with a bid (Mod: Looking for price guidance for interpreting project)
Thread poster: Javier Roman
Javier Roman  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 12, 2004

I have the possibility of getting a government job interpreting in three languages (English, Portuguese and Spanish)
I'd like some suggestions on what would it be a reasonable price per hour. This is a one time project with potential for some future jobs, but nothing specific.
Thanks for your assistance
J. Roman

Direct link Reply with quote

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
combinations Apr 12, 2004

1) There is no such thing as interpreting in three languages. What are the combinations?
You have up to six with three languages.
2) is it consecutive or simultaneous?
3) if simultaneous, you're not supposed to do more than 4 hours as a whole day, working with one colleague.
4) What's the discourse?? Politics, administration, law, commputer data bases?
5) Their are loads of factors including experience that go into pricing....
6) If consecutive, I suggest you not do more than your B and C languages into your A language. You can really get fouled up otherwise....

Re Pricing
BEfore knowing more, let me just say:
1) COnsecutive usually is per hour with a two hour mininum
2) Simultaneous is charged by the day or half day...

Cheers
Jane

Javier Roman  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comments Apr 13, 2004

You are correct! They expect the interpreter to work with any of the six possible combinations during the different sessions.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
six combinations on the SAME DAY? Apr 13, 2004

[
You are correct! They expect the interpreter to work with any of the six possible combinations during the different sessions. [/quote]

Do they expect you to switch around AS NEEDED? You still haven't answered all my questions. I'm afraid I can't quite understand if you are serious. There is a HUGE difference between consecutive, false consecutive and simultaneous...Personally, I don't think anyone can do all those combinations and do them well and certainly NOT do them all on the same day. I interpret consecutively ENGFR, ENGSP, ENGPORT but never on the same day AND NEVER in other combinations. You [American English meaning most people, just being clear here] only have one A language and a double A is unusual. Your combinatons should always be for consecutive either AB, OR C INTO A..but never A into C. IF you have two B's, you can go AB, AB2, I have 2 As and 2 Bs. So....I never cross interpret...SAY, PORTSP, OR FRENCHPORTUGUESE. So, that's my answer. I'm afraid that's all I can contribute. I don't feel I can discuss prices given your conditions. I wish you good luck though.

[Edited at 2004-04-13 22:38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Assistance with a bid (Mod: Looking for price guidance for interpreting project)

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search