Moneybookers: opening a business account when your business is not registered?
Thread poster: DeeWW

DeeWW
Local time: 10:51
Jul 8, 2011

I'm a freelancer on freelancer.com and I want to withdraw my money from them into my moneybookers. I did a lot of searching, and everywhere it clearly states that if you do freelance work, you NEED a business account... you are not allowed to use a personal account for it.

But, If I try to sign up for a moneybookers business account, it asks me for my business registration info? Hello... I'm not a business... I'm just a freelancer. And, if I accept money from freelancer.com into my moneybookers account, they're going to see it's coming from them.

So, what am I supposed to do? Open a business account, even though I don't have a registered business? Does anyone have a Business Moneybookers account even though your business isn't registered? Can this cause complications? The business registrations number, is not a required field. But it has a "Legal form" field, where I have the following options:

- Company Limited By Garuantee
- Propriety Company (Pty Ltd)
- Private Company (Ltd)
- Public Company (Ltd/Bpk)
- Other

I guess I can choose "Other", but I'm scared that they'll ask me for proof later...
But then again... why didn't they make the business registration number a required filed, and why did they add "other" in the legal form box? Is this maybe there for a purpose for people like me?

The other option is, to open a personal account, but to hope that I don't get caught... which I probably will, since payments will be coming from freelancer.com

I don't know what I should do here...

Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are your own business Jul 8, 2011

... and you must – be as professional as possible. Create a corporate identity, you are a business… You will need a business logo, probably, business stationary (for invoices and correspondence via email), business card, promote yourself with stickers or any other stuff, be inventive and get your company or your own name outside the box, be CONSISTENT… You are building a BRAND… Regarding TAX… If you are in South Africa you can find out about running a small business by reading through the Small Enterprise Development Agency website – managed by the Department of Trade and Industry. The South African Revenue Service website will give you plenty of information about taxation. Good luck! Once you set up your business go to Moneybookers and update your account.

[Edited at 2011-07-08 23:24 GMT]

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:51
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Whatever kind of account will work for you Jul 9, 2011

Relax!

Moneybookers is a business, not an entity with legal powers of any kind of in your country, so your fears of some kind of dire consequences for opening the "wrong" type of account are unfounded. (I'm wondering what you had mind - MB sending goons to "set you straight" perhaps?icon_wink.gif ) The reason they want you to open a business account is - obviously - because they charge more for its services, and thus will make more money off you that way, the justification being that your are using their services to make money (rather than, say, simply sending a friend of relative money).

They don't care whether you are registered as a business or not - only whether you are using the account for commercial purposes. The only thing that will happen if you open the "wrong" account is that it will have limitations that will make transfers of commercial payments (e.g., from your clients) difficult. Your options will then be to upgrade the account or open a new one of a different type.

yousrasany  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 10:51
English to Arabic
+ ...
hope this might help Jul 9, 2011

I recently stared receiving money on my moneybookers account for freelanceing it is a personal account my employee suggested I talk to customer service direclty and told me there were two kinds of personal accounts so I talked to them and stated that I am going to use it for freelance money transfer and they replied back that I do not have to change the personal account and it is ok to start receiving money my suggestion is that you send them an email directly with the situation ....hpe I might have been of any help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moneybookers: opening a business account when your business is not registered?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search