Article - 10 Ways to Save Money on Translation
Thread poster: José Henrique Lamensdorf

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 11, 2011

I've just published this article on my web site: 10 Ways to Save Money on Translation, which might be useful for direct clients and outsourcers.

However my fellow translators are welcome to use it to give their clients some ideas on how they can reduce costs in any other way than merely lowering rates.

Comments/suggestions are welcome (proofreading too... I always get too eager to put it online ).

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 23:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
José Henrique Jul 11, 2011

Boa tarde, obrigada! Artigo interessante... Um pequeno comentário: However at least two aspects – when they are present – may render the translation agency approach actually cheaper that (than) hiring a freelance translator...

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mais um comentário, com os meus cumprimentos... Jul 11, 2011

as long as they leave no trace of its use (is left) on the material you get.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ainda... Jul 11, 2011

Translation quality is not an exact science, so the figures are a general reference (there is no concern on e.g. what happens between 90 and 99); it (?) a continuum.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:36
English to Russian
+ ...
One phrase of yours seems a bit too generalizing Jul 11, 2011

However if it is addressed to patients, their family members, or the general public, you won’t need a specialized medical translator.

I'd rather say: you may not necessarily need a specialized medical translator.
There are cases where you still need one. For example, when translating a patient information leaflet for a clinical study, you don't need the terminology but you still have pitfalls to avoid.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
José Henrique Jul 11, 2011

Apparently, one cannot use another language to comment on an article posted in English, even if the poster is Brazilian... Anyway, I do hope that you have seen my proofreading comments that were hidden by a moderator.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point, Anton! Jul 11, 2011

Anton Konashenok wrote:
However if it is addressed to patients, their family members, or the general public, you won’t need a specialized medical translator.

I'd rather say: you may not necessarily need a specialized medical translator.
There are cases where you still need one. For example, when translating a patient information leaflet for a clinical study, you don't need the terminology but you still have pitfalls to avoid.

Thanks! I fully agree with you. File has been fixed, I have it ready for the next upload.

Sometimes it's not so clear, and the translator definitely must understand what's going on, to explain it in lay terms.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess it depends on the moderator Jul 11, 2011

Teresa Borges wrote:
Apparently, one cannot use another language to comment on an article posted in English, even if the poster is Brazilian... Anyway, I do hope that you have seen my proofreading comments that were hidden by a moderator.

In fact, if the specific forum moderator does not understand the language the message is written in, it's their duty to hide it, as they have no means to know whether it complies or not with whatever they are allowed to leave.

Quite frankly, as an assigned moderator, I wouldn't leave messages in a language I don't understand, and I don't think it would be fair to expect that these volunteers should take the trouble of identifying the language with Lextek, and then rely on Google Translate to have a clue on what's written there. It's part of the game.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 01:36
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Addition to the Article Jul 13, 2011

Then there is the honorary machine translation. It can be summed up by "you get what you pay for."

Silvia Barra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:36
English to Italian
+ ...
Very interesting Jul 13, 2011

A very interesting article.
I just published a similar (for the contents) article on my website:

http://www.barratraduzioni.it/doc/Quanto_mi_costa_una_traduzione.pdf

At the moment it is only in Italian, but I'm working to publish the English version very soon.

Silvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article - 10 Ways to Save Money on Translation

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search