Great translation offer...or not
Thread poster: Paula Hernández

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 15, 2011

I just read the title of an offer that seeks "Good translators", it surprised me and I wondered "Well, if they are looking for good translators, they must be willing to pay for quality", but...

"If you meet these criteria, and can offer competitive pricing"

Of course.

[Editado a las 2011-07-15 17:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
I think you're reading too much into it... Jul 15, 2011

What it basically means is "if we can afford your rates".

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:37
French to German
+ ...
Same difference as... Jul 15, 2011

philgoddard wrote:

What it basically means is "if we can afford your rates".

Same difference as: "We are not great at selling ourselves and therefore accept any conditions from our clients. But this does not really matter as we will discharge ourselves on our subcontractors (low rates, tight to impossible deadlines, absurd payment terms, preposterous quality claims and so on)".

Roberto Tokuda  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
I offer... Jul 15, 2011

A good translation, quick and cheap. But you can only select two of them.

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 15:37
Japanese to English
Question Jul 16, 2011

Why did they have to specify "good" in the post? Are there any agencies out there actively looking for bad translators?

Enrique F Granados-González  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dilema Jul 16, 2011

It is easy to restrict your offers to high rates when you have a large experience and a good bunch of clients. But when you are just a begginer... its difficult to be quite exigent and say no. It exist the vicious circle: you dont have experience, you are not selected... you are not selected, you dont achieve experience,....

I would not throw in nobody's face the fact of traying to achieve experience by offering too low rates.

So, sometimes these "good jobs" that are in the end "bad jobs" could be useful to break that circle I mentioned. Some agencies know it so they try to get good translations, cheap and quick.... and yes, it is possible if you exploit yourself.

Solutions?,... difficult.

Enrique

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:37
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Which begs the question... Jul 16, 2011

Is it worse for the profession if you accept low rates as a beginner due to a lack of experience or if you lie about your experience in the beginning in order to get work at standard rates? Neither is good, ethically correct or recommended, but considering that some people seem to be so desperate, which is the worst of two evils?

[Edited at 2011-07-16 15:34 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
For employees rather - no? Jul 16, 2011

Enrique F Granados-González wrote:

It is easy to restrict your offers to high rates when you have a large experience and a good bunch of clients. But when you are just a begginer... its difficult to be quite exigent and say no. It exist the vicious circle: you dont have experience, you are not selected... you are not selected, you dont achieve experience,....
(.../...)

This IMVHO is rather a dilemma faced by employees looking for a salaried job.

Explanation: agencies with low rates will keep them at their level no matter if you have 1 or 10 years experience.

I fell once for this trick, when an Italian agency told me back in 2007 (I had 11 years experience at that time) that they would consider paying me more with time.

It transpired later (and only because I addressed the matter) that the rate they 'offered' at the beginning was in fact their highest standard rate.

Since then, I meet this boilerplate explanation -or justification, if you will- with a serene face and my finger pointing to the door.

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...

the true meaning of "competitive pricing" Jul 16, 2011

The way I see it, competitive pricing for certain agencies translates to "we will use whoever charges the least". Some years ago I received a counter-offer to my quote, with the following "explanation", a mighty weak sales pitch if you ask me:

"Your flexibility will be highly appreciated and may I just add that competitive rates will ensure a greater possibility of you receiving a regular flow of work from us. We have translators who charge us less than the rate you mentioned, so obviously they will be first choices when we get projects."

"Obviously"...? It is only obvious to the outsourcer whose number one criteria is *cheap*. Others may focus on instant delivery. Then there are those who are worth working for, who care about *quality* first and foremost. I fully agree with Roberto; I have used my tagline for many years and I'm sticking to it: "Accurate / Fast / Cheap -- Pick two".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Great translation offer...or not

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search