https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/203528-price_for_a_webpage_translation_in_htlm_format.html

Price for a webpage translation in htlm format
Thread poster: Nuria Navarro
Nuria Navarro
Nuria Navarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2011

Hi,

One of my clients wants me to translate his webpage from Italian into Spanish, but he wants me to insert the text in html format (I know how to do it).

How do I charge for this? Per word? Per hour? How much?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Add price for formatting, or use CAT tool Jul 19, 2011

Nuria Navarro wrote:
One of my clients wants me to translate his webpage from Italian into Spanish, but he wants me to insert the text in html format (I know how to do it).

If you're not using a program that automatically puts the text into the code, then charge per word for the translation and charge per hour for putting the text into the code. Otherwise, just use a program that does that for you (e.g. OmegaT), and charge your usual per-word rate.

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados Jul 19, 2011

Your profile shows that you use SDL Trados. Just open Workbench, chose the ini file for HTML and translate these files in TagEditor. Make sure you preserve the necessary internal tags. I wouldn't think there's need for extra charge unless you would have to make any amends to the code to accommodate for the longer/shorter text.

Andrea Piu
Andrea Piu  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
useful tool Jul 19, 2011

Nuria Navarro wrote:

Hi,

How do I charge for this? Per word? Per hour? How much?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hello,

Have you already seen this tool? It could be useful to count the number of words in a Web page and decide how much charge per word: http://www.webwordcount.com/
I agree with Samuel's and Michal's comments regarding the "practical" part and if you have not Trados I can tell you I am a big fan of OmegaT (since I use Ubuntu Linux as a main platform). Have a look here, it could be useful: http://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/200209-word_count_for_html_files.html

Andrea

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tedious process Jul 19, 2011

You need a tool that can "read" html files, if not you run the risk of spending loads of time looking for the "text" amongst the code and you risk missing some text.

I personally use a tool called "Cat's cradle", it's very cheap (only $49 or €39), but even better for you, it offers a fully functional 30 day trial, which should give you plenty of time to translate your friends websit
... See more
You need a tool that can "read" html files, if not you run the risk of spending loads of time looking for the "text" amongst the code and you risk missing some text.

I personally use a tool called "Cat's cradle", it's very cheap (only $49 or €39), but even better for you, it offers a fully functional 30 day trial, which should give you plenty of time to translate your friends website.

You can get cat's cradle at http://www.stormdance.net/software/catscradle/download.htm
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
No need for a surcharge... Jul 20, 2011

as long as you use a CAT tool - I am not aware of one which would not support HTML.

I vote for CatsCradle too.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Pure HTML? Jul 20, 2011

I agree with the previous posters (just use your CAT).
However, there is a catch: this only works if the site is made up of static HTML pages only, which may not be the case. You'll have to talk to the tech guy who made the site.

[Edited at 2011-07-20 08:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price for a webpage translation in htlm format

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »