https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/20393-reliable_debt_collecting_agency_in_spain.html

Reliable debt collecting agency in Spain?
Thread poster: Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers
Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers
Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:44
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 16, 2004

I want to collect 2500 euro from a translation agency in Malaga, Spain, for two jobs I did in September 2003. Does anyone no a reliable debt collector in Spain? Is there someone with experience in collecting debts in Spain?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Related topic Apr 16, 2004

Hi Toiny,
No specific answer to your question - I just want to make sure you saw a related topic posted a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck, Ralf

Myriam Garcia Bernabe
Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:44
English to Spanish
More information Apr 16, 2004

By all means place a report (denuncia) with the police but you can also look at

http://www.cobrador.com/

Debt collection in Spain is known as "cobro a morosos" and it does exist.

Myriam

Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Spain
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Reliable debt collecting agency in Spain Apr 16, 2004

Dear Toiny´

Try the following company, they are very good.

"EL COBRADOR DEL FRAC"
Cobro de deuda, Morosidad
www.elcobradordelfrac.com

good luck.

MLD

Rosa Diez Tagarro
Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not so "eficaz", I'm afraid Apr 16, 2004

Hi!

Unfortunately, I don't know of a reliable debt collector in Spain, but I can tell you, from my experience, that one of the companies recommended in this forum is anything but reliable.

A group of five translators including myself hired them six months ago to claim over 8,000 Euros from a Spanish agency and they haven't done a single thing.

They haven't answered our phone calls since the day we paid for their services (you have to pay a sum in advance,
... See more
Hi!

Unfortunately, I don't know of a reliable debt collector in Spain, but I can tell you, from my experience, that one of the companies recommended in this forum is anything but reliable.

A group of five translators including myself hired them six months ago to claim over 8,000 Euros from a Spanish agency and they haven't done a single thing.

They haven't answered our phone calls since the day we paid for their services (you have to pay a sum in advance, and they keep one third of the sum they collect for you).

I haven't tried the "denuncia" (I'll have a look and see how it works).

However, we have tried all kinds of other things (reporting them to the Chamber of Commerce, etc), and to no avail.

Everybody says they can't do a thing without legal confirmation of the crime. But getting such confirmation from Spanish courts is not so easy, it takes money and time.

Two translators took this agency I'm talking about to court, but after six months (in one case) and a whole year (in the other) and some money less in their pockets, they have no news at all. In fact, some lawyers we talked to told us it was no use. But maybe ours was a difficult case.

If I were you, I would hire the services of a debt collector that somebody has used with good results. Not "El Cobrador Eficaz" by any means.

And rate the agency that owes you money in all the payment practice lists / translators' directories, please! That's what we have done with the agency that owes us money. At least, other translators won't find themselves in such a situation.

Good luck:

Rosa
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
translator's association, Chamber of Commerce, lawyer? Apr 16, 2004

http://lists.albura.net/efe.es/apuntes/2003-01/0189.html

The above's a discussion on the subject.

I would avoid debt collection agencies if at all possible.

If I were in a similar situation I would contact a Colegio de Traductores in Spain first of all. Even if you are not a member, I think they would be willing to help, in the interest of d
... See more
http://lists.albura.net/efe.es/apuntes/2003-01/0189.html

The above's a discussion on the subject.

I would avoid debt collection agencies if at all possible.

If I were in a similar situation I would contact a Colegio de Traductores in Spain first of all. Even if you are not a member, I think they would be willing to help, in the interest of defending the profession. There are many Colegios, so maybe a logical place to start is one in the region.

Another possibility is to contact the regional Chamber of Commerce to see if they are willing to provide you with information on how to proceed.

Living abroad you obviously can't follow up a small claims procedure yourself, but that might be the final step. Before that I would locate a lawyer, maybe through ProZ, who would be willing to write a letter.
Collapse

Anna Villegas (X)
Anna Villegas (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Knock the door of your Embassy... Apr 18, 2004

Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers wrote:

I want to collect 2500 euro from a translation agency in Malaga, Spain, for two jobs I did in September 2003. Does anyone no a reliable debt collector in Spain? Is there someone with experience in collecting debts in Spain?

[Edited at 2004-04-18 21:06]

Anna Villegas (X)
Anna Villegas (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Knock the door of your Embassy... Apr 18, 2004

Toiny, the best you can do is to make a phone call or email to your Embassy in Spain asking for help.
They surely have a department/division dedicated to help workers in trouble with their employers.
I've done it in the past (with my own Embassy in Russia) and DID work (ipso facto!)
Luck,
Anna.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reliable debt collecting agency in Spain?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »