https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/20400-do_subtitling_rates_of_movies_differ_from_those_of_programs_.html

Do subtitling rates of movies differ from those of programs ?
Thread poster: Joseph Samir
Joseph Samir
Joseph Samir
Egypt
Local time: 16:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 16, 2004

Hi guys ,
Does anybody know about rates of subtitling in USA ?

and whether the subtitling rates of movies differ from those of programs ?

Thanks in advance

Yours ,
Joseph Samir
Freelance Translator
( EN Ar )

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:15
French to Spanish
+ ...
Subtitling, or translation for subtitling? Apr 16, 2004

Hi Joseph.
Subtitling, or translation for subtitling?
I suppose you're talking about translation for subtitling... in the US, about 4 dollars per minute. I'm not shure, but I don't think there's a difference with programs.
Luck to you.
You.

Joseph Samir
Joseph Samir
Egypt
Local time: 16:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Juan Apr 16, 2004

Hi Juan ,

Thanks a lot for your reply .

In fact I was asking because I received a program of 51 minutes with 10,000 words , and according to your rate : the rate per word will be 0.02 , which is really terrible ..

Your comment means that the word "subtitling" refers only to the technical process of placing the translation onto the movie , right ??

Thanks again

Yours ,
Joseph

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:15
French to Spanish
+ ...
Well, yes... Apr 16, 2004

Subtitling is the process, of course... made in a studio with the proper equipment and softwares...
BUT, what will you do preciselly? I understand that you'll only make the translation, in Word for example... translation for subtitling is more difficult than that. Uselly, the translator has to do an adaptation, that is, according to a "spotting list" that includes times in and times out of each subtitle. In other countries, here in Mexico for instance, we ALSO have to do the spotting list
... See more
Subtitling is the process, of course... made in a studio with the proper equipment and softwares...
BUT, what will you do preciselly? I understand that you'll only make the translation, in Word for example... translation for subtitling is more difficult than that. Uselly, the translator has to do an adaptation, that is, according to a "spotting list" that includes times in and times out of each subtitle. In other countries, here in Mexico for instance, we ALSO have to do the spotting list, for the same price, of course!
You say 0.02 per word... not good, but we usually count per minute, not per word. And probably the program is not so difficult...
Luck to you.
Juan.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do subtitling rates of movies differ from those of programs ?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »