Translation over the phone..
Thread poster: Fadoua Abida

Fadoua Abida
Local time: 11:32
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 5, 2011

I really need help on how much I should charge for this kind of work, it involves translation and costumer service...

This is the job:

"The work entails making Arabic phone calls (currently in the region of a dozen a month, but this might increase) to companies in the Middle East and another three dozen or so French telephone calls to companies in Africa, Europe and the Caribbean with the purpose of verifying receipt of documents sent for example.

Calls wo
... See more
I really need help on how much I should charge for this kind of work, it involves translation and costumer service...

This is the job:

"The work entails making Arabic phone calls (currently in the region of a dozen a month, but this might increase) to companies in the Middle East and another three dozen or so French telephone calls to companies in Africa, Europe and the Caribbean with the purpose of verifying receipt of documents sent for example.

Calls would typically last 5 minutes each. You will be calling to verify if the company in question has received documents such as invoices, shipping document and supporting documentation. There may be calls to check things like payments made to our client too.

You would receive an Excel spreadsheet every month with the details of the companies that need contacting and the details that need verifying. You than return that completed with the notes of the responses you receive."

How much should I charge for one call? (not including the cost of phone bill) I really have no idea...

I appreciate your help!!!

Fadwa-
Collapse

Soula Kokotinis
Canada
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Sounds interesting Aug 5, 2011

But I'm not sure how this would be considered translation. It sounds like they are looking to make use of your bilingualism. It sounds interesting and reliable if you are going to be doing it month over month.

I would look into how much administrative assistants get paid to do similar work and charge a premium for the fact that you can reach multiple offices. I am not aware of anyone doing such work/getting paid on a per call basis, though. Have you worked with this company pr
... See more
But I'm not sure how this would be considered translation. It sounds like they are looking to make use of your bilingualism. It sounds interesting and reliable if you are going to be doing it month over month.

I would look into how much administrative assistants get paid to do similar work and charge a premium for the fact that you can reach multiple offices. I am not aware of anyone doing such work/getting paid on a per call basis, though. Have you worked with this company previously? Do you have an understanding of how this role fits in to their greater goals?

Sorry if I was not much help. These are the things that came to mind, though. Good luck!

Soula
Collapse

Fadoua Abida
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 5, 2011

Thanks Soula!

You're right. It seems closer to be an administrative work than translation work. I haven't work with them before.. so I don't really have any idea about it. Thank you for suggesting that I look into how much administrative assistants get paid. I will try to do that.

I appreciate your help!

Fadwa-

Hamada and Naj
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:32
English to Arabic
+ ...
err? Aug 5, 2011

I say let them suggest a price because you might ask for a low price since this doesn't locate on your scope of work. If you need this job, ask for any rate they think reasonable, and then decide whether to ask for more or not? you can't really calculate per hour because your offer includes extra efforts? good luck.

Fadoua Abida
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Najand! Aug 5, 2011

I actually already did ask for them to suggest a range of how much they would pay for this kind of work and how long will each call take.. Yet what I got back is the second part of what I posted:

"Calls would typically last 5 minutes each....."

So I was asked again to give a quote after I had a better idea about the work I would be doing..

Still, I don't know how much I should charge. Maybe I should ask them for a reasonable rate as you said.

... See more
I actually already did ask for them to suggest a range of how much they would pay for this kind of work and how long will each call take.. Yet what I got back is the second part of what I posted:

"Calls would typically last 5 minutes each....."

So I was asked again to give a quote after I had a better idea about the work I would be doing..

Still, I don't know how much I should charge. Maybe I should ask them for a reasonable rate as you said.

Thank you Najand!

Fadwa-
Collapse

Alma Ramirez  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
per hour Aug 5, 2011

I will suggest for you to charge per hour of your services, like an interpreter does. I do not know if it is possible to make all the phone calls one after another. You can charge the first hour minimum and after that, in 15 minutes intervals. You can use your minimum rate per hour as a base rate.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded Aug 5, 2011

Alma Ramirez wrote:
I will suggest for you to charge per hour of your services, like an interpreter does. I do not know if it is possible to make all the phone calls one after another. You can charge the first hour minimum and after that, in 15 minutes intervals. You can use your minimum rate per hour as a base rate.

I fully agree and would do the same.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
"Calls would typically last 5 minutes each....." Aug 5, 2011

I would certainly not recommend quoting by the call. You can never tell how long the call will last, because you can be put on hold and/or have to talk to a number of people or make further calls in order to verify the receipt of documents. Sometimes after making quite an effort, it may still not be possible to verify it. Your charges would have to include both your time and your phone bill.

Assume there will be no typical calls.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 09:32
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
By the hour Aug 6, 2011

I did a number of similar jobs for research projects and was paid by the hour + phone charges.

translator121
Local time: 16:32
Arabic to English
+ ...
Per call/Per hour Aug 6, 2011

I think you should charge per call up to 1 hour (ie $35/h) for the first houre and $15 there after.
Jamal

Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 17:32
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Charge Aug 6, 2011

Monthly per hour + phone charge with a minimum of 1/2 hour if there was any work for that month. This to cover th effort for issuing the invoice.
Rolf

[Bearbeitet am 2011-08-06 20:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation over the phone..

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search