A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Local time: 23:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2011

Hi there,

I got a quote from a potential Portuguese-English interpreting partner of 750€/day for a whispering assignment in Amsterdam. But I'm looking at an AIIC rates page for freelancers from 2009 (the most recently listed) for group II, Belgium, is 517€ daily + VAT. The page: http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article1052

My questions are:

-Do AIIC
... See more
Hi there,

I got a quote from a potential Portuguese-English interpreting partner of 750€/day for a whispering assignment in Amsterdam. But I'm looking at an AIIC rates page for freelancers from 2009 (the most recently listed) for group II, Belgium, is 517€ daily + VAT. The page: http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article1052

My questions are:

-Do AIIC guidelines apply to all freelancers in the EU, even those not working for the UN or other governmental organization?

-Can this rate be applied to the Netherlands? (The other group includes only Switzerland and the rate is in Swiss Francs).

Then there is another page of rates for the EU (in French: http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm?page_id=279) listing experienced interpreters' gross daily rate at 538.26.

Can you help me make sense of this? Should freelance interpreters be going by these AIIC rates (and which one)? Any other thoughts/comments?

Thanks a lot!

[Edited at 2011-08-10 17:29 GMT]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
You're quoting a specific agreement Aug 10, 2011

with the GUF and ITUC. You'll find there are other agreements (NATO, for example) with different rates.

The applicable law is competition law, which upholds the right of a professional to set his/her own rates. Hence, saying certain rates are a guideline may also be seen as contrary to its spirit, unless these are rates published as a result of a survey or study on the actual market (among the members of an organisation, for example). Similarly, there are markets with higher going r
... See more
with the GUF and ITUC. You'll find there are other agreements (NATO, for example) with different rates.

The applicable law is competition law, which upholds the right of a professional to set his/her own rates. Hence, saying certain rates are a guideline may also be seen as contrary to its spirit, unless these are rates published as a result of a survey or study on the actual market (among the members of an organisation, for example). Similarly, there are markets with higher going rates, so the potential partner could be moving in those circles. In the end, it could all boil down to the principle of what AIIC calls lucrum cessans -- what you stand to lose by making yourself unavoidable on the days requested.

Hope it helps.
Collapse

A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Local time: 23:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does help Aug 10, 2011

Parrot wrote:

The applicable law is competition law, which upholds the right of a professional to set his/her own rates. Hence, saying certain rates are a guideline may also be seen as contrary to its spirit, unless these are rates published as a result of a survey or study on the actual market (among the members of an organisation, for example). Similarly, there are markets with higher going rates, so the potential partner could be moving in those circles. In the end, it could all boil down to the principle of what AIIC calls lucrum cessans -- what you stand to lose by making yourself unavoidable on the days requested.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for replying. Your response does give me some idea of what to expect, just about anything that is but a quote could easily be upwards of the agreements' rates. I'm trying to figure out what's a reasonable rate as well as what's professional rate vs amateur rates while having a hard time finding a Brazilian Portuguese-English interpreter

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sorry... Aug 10, 2011

Where I said "unavoidable" I meant "unavailable".

Been a long day...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Latest interpreting rates in EU - AIIC?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »