Unpaid invoice - Suggestions?
Thread poster: pooja_chic

pooja_chic
French to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2011

I have worked for one outsourcer who has payment terms as 35-40 days. But mutually we agreed upon 30 days.
Now it has been more than 45 days but I do not get reply except one excuse every week.
Sometimes, internet problem, other time vacations, then office being burnt and now finding new office and promising me to pay this week
I want to have opinion regarding are these genuine excuses? Is there any relation of settling down and settling invoices? If yes, then he promised to pay this week but again he is not responding.

I should wait further or provide feedback to save interest of other translators. Please suggest.

Thanks,
Shalini

Direct link Reply with quote

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
BS Aug 11, 2011

When any of those excuses happens once, it might be true

But unless you're dealing with the unluckiest person in the world, it's all BS.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a reliable partner Aug 11, 2011

pooja_chic wrote:
Sometimes, internet problem, other time vacations, then office being burnt and now finding new office and promising me to pay this week
I want to have opinion regarding are these genuine excuses? Is there any relation of settling down and settling invoices? If yes, then he promised to pay this week but again he is not responding.

They are simple excuses since it seems that they A) do not have the money to pay you; B) have the money but won't pay you until their customer pays them; or C) they will not pay altogether.

In any of the three cases, the situation reveals that this is not a reliable business partner. Wait a couple of weeks more, trying to be as much a pain in the neck as possible (invest in calling them over the phone and making them lose as much time as possible), and if the situation is not resolved, add a bad mark for them in the Blueboard, so that others do not fall in the same trap.

Good luck!

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:33
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Just chiming in Aug 11, 2011

Be friendly but firm. Don't agree to any more assignments unless the previous ones are paid. At this stage I would give them an appropriate Blue Board rating.

It happened to me with my very first assignment as a freelancer. The payment dragged on and on, and in the end I figured out that it drained more energy from me chasing the money than the assignment was worth (about 150 euros). They sent me a couple of e-mails asking me to remove the BB rating, but it still stands. And I have more time and energy to save for customers that actually pay the invoices. It was an effective first lesson.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unpaid invoice - Suggestions?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search