How to cost a recorded translation (and possible transcription)
Thread poster: Elena Ciani

Elena Ciani
Local time: 04:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 18, 2011

Hello everybody!
I would appreciate your help in this matter...
A publishing co. I am translating a book for also proposed another job: translating an interview (MP3 file) and recording my translation so that it more or less matches the length of the original.
I know the subject and it is not particularly difficult nor technical, but I am in difficulty about the pricing here.
I guess - considering the nature of the subject - I could skip the transcription part (they have not asked for any written work so far) and record my translation, but maybe it would be needed for me to have a script in order to sometimes work on the length? And how to charge for such a job?
I hope you can help me out!

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hourly rate Aug 18, 2011

Hourly rate should be the basis for all pricing, since the time is the only restriction we have. Ask what your car-mechanic charges per hour and try to get the same rate.

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:12
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
You should not skip any of the steps Aug 18, 2011

Elena Ciani wrote:

A publishing co. I am translating a book for also proposed another job: translating an interview (MP3 file) and recording my translation so that it more or less matches the length of the original.

I know the subject and it is not particularly difficult nor technical, but I am in difficulty about the pricing here.

I guess - considering the nature of the subject - I could skip the transcription part (they have not asked for any written work so far) and record my translation, but maybe it would be needed for me to have a script in order to sometimes work on the length? And how to charge for such a job?

Hi Elena:

There are three steps in implementing this assignment:

1. transcription of the recorded interview
2. translation of the transcribed text
3. voice recording of the translation

If you want to deliver a really quality job you should not skip any of the steps mentioned above.

On pricing:

1. Charge per minute of the recording taking into consideration that transcription of 1 recorded minute takes NOT LESS than 5 minutes.

2. Charge your usual rate for translation of the text of this type.

3. Depends on many factors. As a reference please use the following table:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3328/ratesforvoiceoverjobs.jpg

Nikita Kobrin

[Edited at 2011-08-18 18:06 GMT]

Elena Ciani
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 18, 2011

Your suggestions are very precise and useful.. I appreciate your assistance!!

Massimo Gilardenghi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Transcription is a time-consuming business Aug 19, 2011

Ciao Elena,

I do a lot of transcription work and in my experience it takes no less than one hour to transcribe 10 minutes of recorded material (from one language into another). Good luck!

Elena Ciani
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie Massimo! Aug 20, 2011

Thank you for your advice...

Keep up the good work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to cost a recorded translation (and possible transcription)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search