Average salary in Ireland?
Thread poster: Poggibonsi
Aug 24, 2011

Hello,

If anyone cared to comment on what would be the average annual salary for a translator in Ireland. There is talk of lover medium salary in Ireland than the rest of Western Europe...

I'm most and foremost interested in company jobs, not freelance, not agency.

Online research has indicated 20-40K EUR to be the rough average, could this be the case?

Thank you.

PB

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:26
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Have you seen this? Aug 24, 2011

Hello PB,

Just to get the ball rolling, welcome to ProZ.com!

I'm afraid I can't help with specifics, though I'm sure someone from Ireland will be able to help. Of course, we're almost all freelancers here - in fact I thought in-house company translators' jobs were virtually non-existent.

Have you seen this survey (which doesn't specifically mention translators)?

http://media.newjobs.com/uken/fscontent/2011-salary-survey-update.pdf

Sheila

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:26
Chinese to English
Would you pay a "lover medium salary"? Aug 24, 2011

If I got a lover medium salary, I'd be very happy!

Sorry, Poggi, I don't mean to be nasty, I just thought that was a lovely typo!

To your question - I'm not in Europe, so it's a bit hard to say, but I have seen inhouse translator jobs paying 30,000 GBP in the UK. Don't think I've seen anything higher than that. Irish salaries are generally expected to be a little lower than UK salaries.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Lower median salary Aug 24, 2011

Poggibonsi wrote:
If anyone cared to comment on what would be the average annual salary for a translator in Ireland. There is talk of lover medium salary in Ireland than the rest of Western Europe... I'm most and foremost interested in **company jobs**, not freelance, not agency.

I can't help, but for freelance literary translators, Ireland is in the top 4 of Europe:
http://www.ceatl.eu/docs/surveyuk.pdf

Poggibonsi
TOPIC STARTER
salary Aug 24, 2011

Thank you for the information, the surveys certainly make for an intersting read. As do pretty much all subsections of this site.

And Mr. Hand thanks for pointing out the typo!:)

Best regards,

PB

xxxyanadeni  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:26
French to Russian
+ ...
... Aug 24, 2011

I saw a job-offer with 20-22K GBP salary for an in-house UK-based translator (near London).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Average salary in Ireland?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search