Rates for translation
Thread poster: manzuoli

manzuoli
Local time: 13:49
English to Italian
Aug 30, 2011

I am a teacher making translations as second job, only rarely (ita-eng, eng-ita, ita-french, french-ita, eng-french, frech-eng). Could you give me an idea of the average rate (per word?, per character?per file?), my fields are mainly commercial-legal (non specific)-technical. If I choose a rate per character, how can I count the characters in a .pdf file? I am Italian, I have no "Partita IVA". Thanks all.

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
that's easy Aug 30, 2011

manzuoli wrote:

I am a teacher making translations as second job, only rarely (ita-eng, eng-ita, ita-french, french-ita, eng-french, frech-eng). Could you give me an idea of the average rate (per word?, per character?per file?), my fields are mainly commercial-legal (non specific)-technical. If I choose a rate per character, how can I count the characters in a .pdf file? I am Italian, I have no "Partita IVA". Thanks all.

10 euro per 100 words - good price

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:49
Swedish to English
+ ...
Beginner's rates Aug 30, 2011

If I were a translation agency, I would look at your ProZ profile (empty) and your language combinations -- you have quite a few.
In fact, too many combinations. I would not believe you can translate well in every combination. So I would not offer you any rate. As they say on the TV programme Dragon's Den; I'm out.

PS word count in PDF files -- save the PDF file as text, then cut and paste the text into Word and do a word count.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 05:49
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Peter Aug 30, 2011

I agree with Peter: no profile and too many language pairs to be believable. It is better to be good at a few things than to be mediocre at many. My advice would be to start by translating into your native language only and to make the most of your specialties by presenting an impressive profile.

I know this is not what you asked about but it needs to be said.

Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Peter, Tina Aug 30, 2011

Please don't be so hard to Manzuoli

Actually, Manzuoli has only 3 languages and besides, French and Italian are quite similar. So, I really don't think that is "too many languages".

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
English to German
Language pairs? Aug 30, 2011

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I agree with Peter: no profile and too many language pairs to be believable.

Besides the missing profile, I don't even see language pairs.

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:49
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Aug 30, 2011

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Actually, Manzuoli has only 3 languages and besides, French and Italian are quite similar. So, I really don't think that is "too many languages".

There are 6 combinations (listed in the OP), of which 4 must logically be out of his/her native language, and, of those, 2 must be between two non-native languages. Not exactly a recipe for success..

[Edited at 2011-08-30 16:47 GMT]

Russian to English
+ ...
You are right :) Aug 30, 2011

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Alexander Onishko wrote:

There are 6 combinations (listed in the OP), of which 4 must logically be out of his/her native language, and, of those, 2 must be between two non-native languages. Not exactly a recipe for success..

[Edited at 2011-08-30 16:47 GMT]

You are right then, translating between non-native languages may be not a very good idea... Even I do not practice that, normally.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for translation

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search